Act 2 | 3: "your boyfriend is waiting"

While everyone was busy at school I was at home. In bed. Reading. I wasn't even reading at this point, I was staring at words on a page that, for me, had no meaning left to them. If I wanted to try and get back on track, I'd need to go do something with my life. I need to at least try.

It was supposed to be my last year of Stars Hollow High. And I was anywhere but there. I'm not sure if I can go through another week of nothing. I looked around my room at the clothes on the floor, the books stacked on the floor because I have no room for them. My desk messed and collecting dust. I was an accurate representation of 'depressed teen'. The poster child at that. And maybe I took everything for granted, but the only thing good going for me right now is Jess. And I can't let him down too.

I was waiting outside of school. My old school. And I saw Jess come out, he was reading a book called 'Emma' by Jane Austen. Looking up from his book, his eyes meeting mine he gave me a sweet smile and returned his book to his back pocket. Classic Jess. "Hey" I greeted him and he pulled me into a kiss which I gladly accepted. "Any luck?" He asked as our mouths pulled away from each other. I shrugged, I hadn't made an attempt yet.

"Come on, Maria you have to at least ask them, or I'll end up doing it for you" he sounded disappointed but also understanding. I shook my head at him "come on, you know if you don't do it that I wi-" I pulled him into another kiss to get him to shut up, he wrapped his arms around my waist to deepen the kiss. Pulling away he said, "If you're gonna kiss me like that when I talk to much I might never shut up" he was smug, I punched him in the shoulder which he immediately over reacted about. Grabbing his shoulder and pretending to wince in pain. "Oh shut up" I huffed and walked away, dragging him with me by his sleeve.

Jess was in my room and I need to tell Dean he's here before he tries to punch him or accuse him of breaking in. Which granted he does come through my window on occasions. "You have got to be kidding me!?" He was frustrated, Dean held his hands up behind his head. "Dean whether you like it or not, Jess is my boyfriend you can't avoid him forever." He sighs after hearing me say that, bringing his hands down from behind his head and nodding slightly. "I just want what's best for you" he smiles softly, "you're boyfriend is waiting" he motions to my bedroom door that's now open, Jess standing in the doorway, with his crooked smile when he sees me.

"He took that surprisingly well" Jess comments at how Dean was mostly calm for that whole time, I shook me head. "Are you kidding, he was practically restraining himself from punching you" I state my eyes running around Jess' face. Taking in his features which he notices and asks, "what are you doing?" To which I reply, whispering with a smile, "I'm staring at you" I move my hand to cup one of his cheeks.

We were watching Saturday night fever when I noticed the time, and Jess who had fallen victim to a case of tiredness. Was lying his head on my lap. Stroking his hair gently and placing a kiss to his forehead, "Jess" I whispered in his ear, causing him to wake up. "Hm" he hummed looking around him then finding himself looking straight up at me. "Hey" he whispers back, smiling softly. I show him the time but he doesn't move, definitely trying to convince me to let him stay the night. "Jess, Dean will kill me" he laughs at what I said and sits up. "Do you want me to leave?" He asks in a soft, whining tone. I shake my head. "Well in that case" he says before crashing his lips into mine.

I wake up the next day, expecting my bed to be empty considering Jess has school but he's still here. And my head is rested on his chest. "You look pretty when you sleep you know" he whispers. I should be creeped out but it's just Jess and we did kind of just fall asleep on each other last night. I bury my head back into his chest, not wanting to get up, which he laughs at.

"Jess it's the second day of school and you're blowing it off to hang with me" we were sitting on our bench because Jess didn't wanna go to Luke's. "Is it bad for me to want to hang out with my girlfriend?" "When you're skipping school, yes" I reply to him with a more serious look on my face, taking his hands in mine I look to him. "Jess, I know you want to spend time with me. But I don't want you going down the same path, because the truth is, you're smart. You read, you could do anything you want to, but just choose not to do it" Jess just sits and listens as I speak, looking into my face with love. After I finish, he just brings me into a hug. "I appreciate your words... but I just need to know you're okay. The past few days for you must've been hard and I don't want you sitting in your room all day kicking yourself in the ass for something that you never got a warning for" he strokes my hair, speaking gently into my ears. And in that moment I want nothing more to tell him that I love him.

A/N: so I started watching 'This Is Us' because of Milo and omg Jack Pearson 🫶🏻