Act 2 | 5: The Swan

Everything's been going well with school. I've been passing everything on a B average, and things between me and Jess are steady. There's something I've wanted to to tell him for a while now, but luckily there's a party coming up soon, so If I get the courage, I'll tell him then. I was doing maths homework trying to figure out algebraic fractions, which I guess was pretty difficulty. Algebra is easy but I've never liked fractions or trying to find volumes or any of that.

"Hey Luke, ima need some liquid chocolate" I say, walking over to sit in one of the stools. "This is your 4th in the past 24 hours, you have to slow down" he complains but still starts making it, I was wondering where Jess was, because he didn't answer my call this morning. "Hey have you seen Jess, I haven't seen him since school yesterday" I ask Luke who starts chuckling, making me raise my eyebrows in question. "Well Jess got into a small fight" my eyes widen as he says that and I stand up immediately. "Is he okay? where is he?" I question straight away in a concerned tone that makes Luke laugh anymore. "Yeah he's fine" he sniggered to himself and motioned for me to sit again as he gave me my hot chocolate. "You know if a drink was therapy I think this would be mine" I sigh taking a sip. Making Luke roll his eyes.

"Hey Lane, have you seen Jess anywhere?" I ask as I see Lane come out of Doose's market. She shrugs and says, "I think it's worrying you don't know where your boyfriend is, especially when he's walking around with a black eye" Lane answers my question, clearly having seen him around somewhere which made me confused. "So you have seen him?" I ask again, to which she nods, pointing to the other-side of the town. "Thanks lane" I thank her then leave to try and find him.

After looking for what seems like forever. I have officially given up being on Jess patrol. As if he was ever there. I'm worried, but he's honest. Sitting down at our normal bench, I just looked around at stars hollow and thought to myself. 'I haven't had much time to do anything fun recently'. The last time I done something was when me and Jess got caught by Kirk. This whole summer we've kinda stopped causing trouble and just strayed  away from what brought us together in the first place.

I was sneaking out at night by myself for the first time in a while. I still haven't heard anything from Jess, I've been running around Stars Hollow like a crazy lady, I've had 2 hot chocolates and 3 coffees. The only place I haven't checked is the lake, which is where I'm heading to now. I have to call to Luke's first just to check.

Walking into Luke's and still no Jess. "Have you seen Jess?" I ask Luke pleadingly, it seems like he's keeping me from seeing him. "No, I haven't. But if you're that desperate you could just sit here until he comes back from wherever he is" he said as he walked away to serve another customer. "Also you aren't allowed to be out this late are you?" He points out, to which I immediately leave, not that Luke actually cares about my curfew.

I've been sitting on the dock for about half an hour looking at my reflection in the lake. It's really very peaceful out here when there's no one else around. I gave up on trying to find Jess an hour ago and just let him come to me on his own... "and what are you doing out here at 1 in the morning?" A voice asks me and I just chuckle, "you know not answering your phone all day, and walking around town like a mad woman looking for you can do that type of thing for a woman. But I could ask you the same thing" I say, not turning around to face Jess. I feel him get closer and sit down next to me, though he seemed hesitant. Like he was scared?

We've just been sitting for 2 minutes in silence. Though, it wasn't that uncomfortable silence. Jess is the type of person who you can be quiet around without feeling any type of discomforts. "So. What happened?" I asked through a shaky breath, it was getting colder. I looked up to him and analysed his eye that was discoloured. My gaze softened, it looked like it hurt. I brought my hand up to his face and he moved away. "Jess" I whispered, worryingly. "Just leave it, Maria" he replies softly. "You don't call and the next time I see you, you're eye is black. Jess just tell me what happened." I try to urge him to speak up about what happened. It must've been a fight, right?. "You're not going to believe me" he scoffs, looking deeper into the lake. "And what makes you think I'm not going to believe you?" I ask nudging him on the shoulder, managing to get him to crack a smile. "If I tell you... do you promise not to laugh" he brings up his pinky finger and I say "I promise" connecting our pinky's.

I broke my promise. "You know we can totally leave here right now if you don't feel comfortable being around the swans" I stand up and pull him up with me and start to walk toward the edge of the dock. "Maria , stop!" He shouts in annoyance and embarrassment. "Okay okay" I reply, grabbing his hand while we just stand there. I look up into his eyes, "Jess." I whisper, he humms in response meeting my gaze. "Don't ignore my calls when something happens, I was really worried" I admit and he just brings his head down to meet mine. "Okay" he smiles "okay" I reply wrapping my hands around his neck. All of a sudden there's a splashing sound that came from the lake, causing Jess to scream. I break out in hysterics and I notice his grip on me is tightened. "You know I think it's about time we leave"