Act 2 | 4: Welcome Back Maria

It's been a few weeks of studying non stop, 5 hours of sleep each night and an occasional widow visit from Jess. I was doing everything I could to get myself back in. And if I do convince them, I'm never taking that for granted ever again... Today is the day that I was going to convince stars hollow high, to let me back in so I can graduate. And I was determined to make it happen. Principal Merten was not gonna know what hit him.

"Miss Forester, Principal Merten is ready to speak to you" I was called into Merten's office by the receptionist. Taking a deep breath, I stood up and walked into his office.

"Miss Forester, may I take a guess at why you're here" he asks rhetorically, obviously already knowing, I'm assuming either Dean or Jess has talked to him about me already. "I would like to take a test, and show you that I'm going to be graduating this year" he sighs at my response and shakes his head looking to the floor, "Maria, you have shown in the past that you are not dedicated to school" I stand up with frustration,

"no, I am not accepting no for an answer, I know last year I screwed myself over, but for these past 3 weeks I have been working my ass off, I have been studying all day, I am on 5 hours of sleep each day, I barely leave my room unless I'm going out for a run. Last year I was taking everything for granted but this year after I received that letter, a part of me realised that I need this. I need school. I need to graduate. So I will not be leaving this office until you accept my offer." I have no idea where this new found confidence came from.

I have 2 weeks to prove to the school that I really want this. After my speech, the Principal gave me a second chance. Starting In five minutes, I will be attending Stars Hollow High, going to all of my classes and getting a B average score in every single test throughout the year. I was sitting outside reception again, getting my timetable.

Luckily for me I have English now, I was on my way to class and I saw Jess reading at his locker. So I decided to sneak up on him. I was standing beside him for the past 20 seconds and he still hadn't noticed. I fake cough and he looks up.

"Hi" I say softly. His mouth hangs open and he gives me his crooked smile. "Hi" he breathes out, obviously shocked that I'm here. "I told you I'd get back, and I did" I said smugly, crossing my arms and looking at the ground and back up. He puts his book back into his pocket, crossing his own arms. He takes a few steps, now standing directly in front of me. "You're amazing" he admits, looking me up and down, making me blush slightly. "I couldn't have done it without you. Anyways what do you have next?" I ask him curiously, with my eyebrows slightly raised. "English" he replies after taking the timetable sheet out of his pocket and folding it back up. "It's you're lucky day then"

We were sitting in class and Jess was sat at the back while I was at the front, there was no seats left that were beside each other. But I guess it causes less distraction, because I might not be able to focus well if Jess is constantly in my ear. The teacher walks in and notices me there, and looks at with a confused expression. "Welcome back Maria" she announces to the rest of the class. I smile awkwardly back at her and give a single nod.

I can't believe I've made it through a single day without, 1: lying to go to the bathroom, 2: being late to class, and 3: my attention span slipping. It was like my brain was finally hard wired for this. And it's gonna take a shit ton of work, I know, but I think I'm ready for that now.

"You're kidding" I just told Dean that I got back in, because somehow he hadn't noticed. "I know I sort of went on a whole ramble and it seemed to work" I said smugly, crossing my arms over one another,smiling. "Come here" he demanded, opening his arms giving me a smile. Rolling my eyes I give my brother a hug. "Well I'm happy for you. And hey" he looks down at me "no more skipping class."

Crawling into my room again was none other than Jess, smiling at me. "Don't come in, I'm coming out" I stop him from coming through by shutting the window, which he rolls his eyes at me. I quickly put on my shoes and reopen the window, climbing out fast, which I almost slip. I hear Jess sniggering, I close the window again and turn around, he just shrugs at me acting as though he wouldn't of laughed if I fully slipped. What a dick.

"So you got back in, by completely losing your shit?" He asks, rhetorically, shaking his head and walking towards the middle of town. "I know it's ridiculous, but I think I'm just too charming to resist" he humms at my response and smiles, taking my hand, "only you aren't as charming as I am" he flashes his smile and I know he is right. I laugh at him being ridiculous. "No, I think I have my perks" I stop as I say that and look up to him. Smiling he leans down and gives me a quick kiss. "I'm proud of you for doing this for yourself" he admits, letting out a breath. "Yeah me too, although that b average is gonna be no fun" I smile taking his and and starting to walk him back towards Luke's, "that does sound like a bummer"