Act 2 | 9: Impulse is a beautiful thing

Impulse is a beautiful thing. It was before 9AM and I had the great idea to travel to New York. On my own. My parents don't seem to care where I go anymore and Dean is always busy with Lindsay nowadays to even notice. I must've replayed Jess' message over and over. And went through the five stages of grief all at once at the lovely time of 6am. He loves me. I told myself that I'd tell him at the party and I didn't get to tell him that either. He deserves to hear it no matter what.

Im not going to New York to bring him back to Stars Hollow. I just need him to know how I feel. Even if it means missing him when I get back. If I even find him. I've been to New York a few times I know my way briefly around the middle. Which is where I hoped I'd find him. Was I anxious? Yes. Would it be worth it? I hope. I have a shit ton of questions repeating over and over and over again in my mind. I just hope that coming here wasn't a mistake.

I'm still mad at Jess for not calling back but If I think about it. He's just a boy on his own, in a place as large as New York. I keep replaying his message in my head but also the last conversation we ever had in my room. When he snapped at him not graduating. He was so mad at ME. For no reason. I had nothing to do with the fact that he didn't graduate, it was his own fault. I wish we could've talked about it normally. I was so annoyed that he lied to me, that I didn't even think about his future and what he was going to have to go through to get a job. With no qualifications, he was practically done for.

"Thank you" I thank the bus driver when I get out. I was finally in New York. And I was already ready to go home. But I can't. I came here to set it straight with Jess. Because he can't just leave me with a message saying, 'I love you' after months of no communication. And expect me not to do anything about it. But I really need to eat right now.

I just got a cheeseburger from this street food van. There was no cue and I wasn't going to stand in a fast food place for 10 minutes waiting for my order. I really should've came up with a better plan than coming here, A. By myself, B. Because a message from my ex boyfriend telling me he loves me and C. I have no plan and I have no idea where he is. But he likes reading so maybe he's at some sort of library or book shop.

"Hey sorry have you seen anyone come in here recently, with a Metallica shirt or the stereotypical 'bad boy' look?" I ask the girl helplessly at the counter. She shakes her head and looks at me with confusion and utter disappointment. "Anything else, Miss?" She asks me. And immediately I walk out of that library. I will never be back there again.

He wasn't in any of the bookshops or libraries. I didn't wanna call him. So my last option was a record store. I got in the record store and took a look at the rock and metal section. Which is where you'd normally find Jess in this type of shop. Considering his taste. And I let out a sigh as I looked at the garage inc. vinyl. "You like Metallica?" A voice asks and I shake my head, "not my taste, but I just knew someone who did" I sigh and look around to find him just standing there smiling. "Hi, Maria"

...Only it wasn't. "Miss are you okay?" I zoned out for a few minutes. Blinking repeatedly and nodding I left the store. I had one last chance. I had to do what I was telling myself not to do. I had to call him. The first 2 times he didn't pick up and I almost gave up until I got a call back. From his number. "Hey" he whispers softly through the line. "Where are you?" I ask, I wasn't interested in any stupid phone calls. I just needed to see him. That he's been doing okay. All alone in New York. "Where are you?" He asks back without answering me. "Seriously, Jess where are you. I asked first now answer me."

I'd we were gonna go back and forth on asking each other where we were. I might just leave. I can't deal with that. But I know, hearing his voice through the line. I wasn't going to leave. Not even if we're bickering over a simple question. "I asked first, you answer" I hear him sigh and the phone line goes off. I scoff in frustration. Great. Of course he'd hang up. "I'm so stupid for even thinking for one minute-"

And suddenly my phone rings again. "Jess I swear-" "I'm right behind you" he says before hanging up again. I turn around hesitantly.

And he's there. Right in front of me.