8. Teenagers being Teenagers

His left had made its way down to my waist as his right was wrapped round the back of my neck, pulling me in closer. I'd never dreamed that Jess would ever want me like this. At all. I never expected me to even think of us in this situation. But now that we're in it. I can't get enough. The kiss seems to go on for what seems like forever. But even forever in this case isn't long enough. His hands cup my cheeks as our mouths detach from each other. Both of us out of breath. Our eyes meet and I feel it. Something Ive never felt for anyone. "Wow" I breathe out, he smiles at me. Looking into his eyes again. I can't help but lean in once more... "For godssake Jess, would you get do-" me and Jess stumble back from the door as I feel the handle move behind my back. Tripping over Jess' foot, we both land in a position that would look very inappropriate. "THATS IT. MARIA YOU NEED TO LEAVE" Luke grabs Jess by his hood and pulls him off of me. I get up as quick as I can and sprint out the door.

I was lying in my bed and my phone rang, "Hello, Rory?" I ask, knowing she's the only one with my phone number besides Lane, but it's too late for Lane to be on the phone right now. "No, not Rory" the voice at the other end says, and the second I hear that voice I know, "Jess?? But how did you get my number?" I question him curiously, "Lane gave me it 2 days ago" he blurts, I narrow my eyes in confusion, Lane has never said anything about Jess getting my number. "And you can't hang up because I technically went through hell to get this number. Lane's mom has been giving me death stares ever since" I laugh at him through the phone, "wow you went through that much trouble when you could've just asked me" I respond to his story and he chuckles, "well 2 days ago you didn't seem like my biggest fan" "oh and I do now? Oh my God Jess I love you, I need you" I say sarcastically, "okay okay I get it" he laughs, "so how was Luke after what- what happened this morning?" I question, coughing considering the last time I saw him, I was pushed up against his door. "Well I've already got all the punishments he could think of, I mean he threw me in a lake one time and I don't think anything will top that, so he let me off with it. Saying that teenagers will be teenagers" I'm actually surprised when Jess says that, my mouth hangs agape in shock. I thought Luke would've killed him, "seriously, nothing?" I ask "nothing." He says softly, Maybe what happened between me and Jess was just teenagers being teenagers. Maybe it actually meant nothing. At least that's what I tell myself.

"Lane, I can't believe you gave Jess my number" I argue with her as we walk around town, "you should be thanking me." She raises her eyebrows as she says that, "I answered the phone with, 'hello, Rory?'" I tell her the start of the conversation. "So you care what you say when you're around him?" She argues back at me, pushing me slightly with her shoulder. "No- no of course not" I do. I definitely do. We come to a stop in-front of Luke's and I see him through the window. "You're staring" she announces. Following my gaze through the window. "Staring at what?" A voice from behind asks. We turn around and see Rory and Dean.

"Maria was staring at-" "the light in Luke's diner, the one that broke yesterday" I interrupt Lane mentioning what fell from the ceiling yesterday. Somehow Jess managed to get a light to fall? I don't question him about it. "Oh my Mom was telling me about that" Rory smiles and Dean wraps his arm around her. "I have to go back or my moms gonna send me to bed earlier" Lane says before running as fast as she can. I just stare at her as she runs. That girl needs more freedom. "So how are you guys?" I ask them awkwardly, being with Rory and Dean separately is fine, but being with them when they're together and smitten is not the best. "Oh we're just going to get coffee, come with?" Rory asks and I look at Deans face, I know how he is when someone interrupts his time with her. "I would love to but I forgot something at home" I excuse myself as they both walk passed me and into Luke's. Turning around and staring back in the window. I should stop thinking about what happened.

I was in my room playing guitar until I heard a knock on my window. Curious and a bit scared, I open the curtains to find Jess there. I widen my eyes and open the window quick. "Jess what are you doi-" "I can't stop." He says and I look around weirdly, "can't stop what?" I argue, I pull him into my room and close the window so no one sees him from outside. "Jess what are you doing here?" I question him, my voice whisper shouting. "I can't stop thinking of you." He admits and I just pause. "I'm going back to New York and I just had to tell you. From the moment I saw you in Luke's diner, I knew I had to be in your life in some way." He takes my hands in-between his speech. It doesn't clock me that he said he was moving back. "I leave tomorrow." He finishes. I don't know what to feel. Because he's leaving as soon as something could've happened between us...
"Maria?" He questions pulling me out of my mind, "oh" I say... and it's all I say...