28

Torrin, unlike the others, did not land in his Court immediately. Rian looked around the empty dining hall for his brother, to no avail. Torrin found himself still in Abbán's presence. The old man eyed him curiously "you cannot love her, you will, but you cannot" he frowned at the vague words "you are not destined for her, only to protect her. You are a Faoladh are you not?" Abbán asked, Torrin gulped and nodded. The old man had said it already, but did not believe Torrin heard his words truly "then you are the last protector of the last of the Ó Mordha line, you cannot be distracted by your love of her. She is to be the Queen, to bring peace back to Etherea. If you stand in her way, she will fail, she is destined for another and you must not fight it" Torrin opened his mouth to argue, but could not find the words. Abbán pursed his lips before clasping his hands "heed my words Torrin Ó Cinnéide and your court will thrive, ignore them and you will find only death and destruction" with that last warning, Abbán sent Torrin whirling through the ether; back to his home.

Torrin stared in disbelief at the trove of people at his gates, Fae from all courts clattering against the steel. He could see Rian at the entrance, an equally baffled look rested on the young Fae's face. The court was alive with greenery, he had not seen anything like it since he was a child "There he is!" A young woman yelled from the crowd, which promptly turned in his direction. Lorcan stumbled backwards as they advanced towards him "is it true?" "Is she here?" "Will she truly save us?" Their questions overlapped, bombarding him with their curiosity. Torrin opened his mouth to speak but found he did not have the words, he thought for a moment "she is not here" their faces fell "but she will return, all who wish to find shelter here are welcome to do so" they cheered, the Sapphire Court had not seen this many Fae in centuries. Torrin realised they would have to rebuild Avenere if he had any hope of sheltering these people long-term  He began directing people, some he knew vaguely, most were strangers; he sent them to build camps for the night, find food and set up a guard by the border. He would not forgive himself if they were attacked for fleeing to his Court. 

Finally, Torrin reached his brother "where were you?" Rian asked as the crowd disbanded; murmuring as they did. Torrin shook his head "it does not matter" Rian suspected his brother was lying, but decided not to push the issue. They returned inside their home, it had grown cold in the weeks since they had left. Both got to work opening the Manor to the masses, still in shock that they had been returned so suddenly. Torrin thought of his friends, and hoped that they were okay. He did not doubt Uaine's sister would slip right into her role as High Lady; Uaine would take some time to adjust. 

He wished he could be there for them, to aid them; his thoughts ventured to Nia. In the heart of the Silver Court; surrounded by enemies. He wondered how she would fare, and prayed that they would not harm her. From the looks he had seen on Lorcans face, Torrin knew he would not harm her; he did not know how this thought made him feel. On one hand, of course, he was glad for it; deep down however, he could not ignore the swell of jealousy in his gut. 

It felt eerie, the emptiness; Torrin thought it strange, for his Court had always been empty. He realised it had been her, Nia had brought a light and warmth into his home he had not even recognised until she left. He cursed himself for being such a fool. Rian stood quietly at his brother's side, contemplating Abbán's revelation. It made complete sense and yet no sense at all; who had cursed him and why could no one remember?  Why would they curse him to stay young? He could not think of a reason,  nor would anyone benefit from his perpetual youth. 

Torrin noticed the silence of his brother, yet he could not find the words to say. He had not realised his own brother was cursed; although, he realised Uaine had not seen it either. If Uaine and his sight had been fooled, then it was powerful magic which cursed Rian. Torrin squeezed his brother's shoulder "we must help the others" it would serve them both well, he hoped, to be distracted by the labor of restoring their Court. Torrin could not have known what he led Rian towards.