32

The Silver Court

Nia had flown, haphazardly, back to Lorcan's home; just in time to meet Aidan on his way out. she skidded to a halt as he marveled at her. Nia had played the part well so far, joined in their praise of her father; even if it sickened her to do so. Aidan had ployed her with gifts and flattery; his mind on one thing alone, a marriage between his brother and the Princess. "Magnificent" he grinned. "I cannot wait to introduce you as an ally to our cause, Etherea will cower before your excellence; but for tonight, we dance" Nia's blood ran cold as she forced a smile on to her face "you are too kind Aidan, I thank you once again for your hospitality, I would ask one more thing of you; the Emerald twins are also devote supporters of Ciar, without their help I could not have escaped Torrins grasp. I would like to invite them tonight" Aidan watched her for any indication of dishonesty; satisfied that he had found none, he agreed with glee.He still plotted to push her into the arms of his brother, to secure their place in the world she would create at her father's side. Nia bowed her head respectfully before she stepped out of his way. She could not help the glare she cast at his back.

Nia's newfound ability to hear the words others left unspoken had served her quite well; for Torrin had been correct about one thing, this was a court of liars. She knew Aidan planned to convince Ciar that a marriage between their two families would ensure Nia could not be swayed. She resented him for using his own brother as a pawn and loathed him further for not realizing Lorcan was nothing like him. It was his arrogance that would be his downfall, Nia was sure of it. She could be a patient woman, if it meant watching his ego shatter behind those sparkling silver eyes. A sliver of guilt ran through her at how many had been dragged into her journey to save this land, she hoped Maeve and Uaine could forgive her for the part they must play in it. 

At least I will have friends nearby, she thought with a sigh. Nia looked towards the flourishing gardens, where Eoghan sat covered in dirt. She smiled despite herself. In their home it was hard to remember the nightmares they became once they were let loose on Etherea. Nonetheless, Nia walked towards the Fae; she had spent the past weeks watching and listening. Each time Aidan spoke, every order he gave; their family seemed equally divided. The three elders stuck with each other, Bradan and Cadan followed their oldest brother without question. Nia had witnessed Aidans temper in full force as he ordered them to search for the escaped women of the Emerald Court, to present as a tribute to Maeve and Uaine when he visited them; Keegan had paled but said nothing, Eoghan had held his head in his hands, his eyes tired. Lorcan had scoffed, questioning why they should waste their resources on 'paltry' low-borns. She knew he had not meant it as an insult to the Fae, but to deter Aidan from his plan. Nia was also sure that if Aidan turned up at the borders of the Emerald Court with imprisoned women Maeve would rip him to shreds; as much as Nia would have liked to allow her this pleasure, she knew it would spark a war between the courts. 

They did not need a war between the Fae, not when a much darker force loomed over them. Ciar had not tried to breach her mind again, Nia owed it to the ring gracing her finger. It held a powerful, ancient enchantment to protect its wearer; it would protect her mind from outside influences and hone her powers into a manageable force. It was the latter which had saved Aidan that night, as he attacked Lorcan. Not so long ago, she would have torn his court to pieces without a second thought; it unnerved her, how quickly she had swayed in her torment. The evil in the world had soaked into her skin and turned her dark, Nia could not allow herself to be tempted once more; although she would have preferred to knock Aidan from his chair the moment she saw the dangerous glare in his eyes.

Nia had watched Eoghan's mouth open and close, before Aidan stood; his chair scraped against the floor with a horrible screech. To her horror, Aidan used his powers against their youngest brother. As Lorcan writhed in pain, Bradan and Cadan smirked, Keegan looked away; Eoghan glared at his elder. It was then, as Nia resisted the urge to gut Aidan where he stood, she realised that she could sway the two younger Silver Princes to their cause.