Chapter 3 - ''I've missed you.''

First step off the ship was relieving. Katara was sick with nerves for the whole trip. It was very intimidating especially since it was first time in years she's traveled this way. Whenever she left the South Pole, Aang would be there to pick her up on Appa.

Shameful for a waterbender really, to suddenly develop a seasickness.

There's been many people at the dock. Almost everyone was wearing red clothing and looked at her strangely. Her choice of clothing was... unusual for them. She had her blue short-sleeved tunic on, with chunky boots that she's found in her wardrobe when she was packing. These were the only ones that were not damaged and didn't have holes in them.

Her feet were sweating like crazy. The sun here was burning. Spirits, she prayed for a shower. Icy one, most preferably.

It was so loud. She's looked around.

Everyone was talking, yelling, shouting. There were a lot of arguments going on. From what she overheard standing next to a couple, it was a replenish day. Since it was the end of the week, the markets were restocking for an upcoming one. Now all these vendors screaming their prices made a much more sense.

''Katara!''

Now, this voice, Katara recognized. She looked to her right, noticing Aang. He was picking up his pace, walking faster towards her with a huge smile on his handsome face. She had a feeling some people were staring at him. Their eyes wider in a realization as they've noticed a bald head and an arrow on top of it.

He was wearing a very formal, orange robe. It was quite fancy with air symbols and some runes she didn't know on it.

Agni, she hasn't seen him for at least half a year.

Excitement filled her chest. A very happy laugh burst out of her. She immediately forgot about the bag in her hand. She didn't pay much attention, she just dropped it on the ground.

Squeezing through displeased about it people, Katara rushed towards Aang. Second later, she was in his arms.

''Hi,'' she mumbled into his chest, smelling the familiar scent of citrus. He wrapped his hands around her tightly as she closed her eyes. ''I've missed you.''

''I have missed you too, Katara.''

She looked up at him. Sometimes she forgot how tall he was. In her mind, she usually saw him as a thirteen year old boy who's defeated the Fire Lord.

But Aang was a man. His voice, his body and even his eyes changed. He matured and with age, he become more experienced. Wiser.

''You know, not all of us are airbenders,'' a male voice scoffed behind Katara. She rolled her eyes, stepping back from Aang's embrace. Still smiling with a fast-beating heart, she turned around to Sokka. Toph was quietly standing right next to him with her arms crossed. She was thumping her bare foot unpatiently. ''Come here, sister!''

Laughing, Sokka scooped Katara up. She gasped loudly as he pressed her head to his shoulder. He was wearing an uncomfortably looking and feeling Water Tribe armor. One part of it was poking her cheek. Painfully.

''It's good to see you, Sokka,'' she's said after she managed to loosen his hug. She scanned his face, so like their father's. They looked so alike, Katara often envied him for inheriting so much from their parent. She grinned and poked his rib which resulted in him yelping like a little girl but also releasing her. He frowned at her furiously. Carelessly, she approached another friend. ''Hi, Toph.''

Even after so many years, Toph was not the one to enjoy the niceties of human contact. Katara has always respected that which is why she did not invade her personal space like Sokka did with her. She stayed back, letting the earthbender decide how she wanted to play this out.

''Hello, Sugar Queen,'' Toph winked at her. The smile dancing around her lips was enough for Katara to know her female friend also missed her terribly. Even if she didn't seem even remotely compelled to hug her.

They've been apart for so long. She's only hoped they would have time to catch up. Soon.

Aang's hand landed on Katara's back. She beamed at him, noticing he's already taken care of her bag, putting it over his shoulder.

''We should get going. The meeting starts in three hours. We don't want to be late.''

''THREE HOURS?!'' she's raised her voice, not caring about people still staring at them. Being friends with the Avatar for so long, she's grown used to it. She was more worried about how much time she's had to get ready. ''I don't even have anything to wear!''

Aang chuckled, patting her back gently. He's started walking and so naturally, she's followed. She's frowned while Sokka rolled his eyes. ''Don't worry, Katara. It's all taken care of.''

She whipped her head up to look at Aang. He was glancing around, avoiding her eyes. Or perhaps he was just marveling at all the fancy looking shops they've been passing next to. She really couldn't tell.

''What do you mean?''

It was Toph who provided her with an answer. ''The Fire Lord has apparently taken it upon himself to arrange a comfortable stay for us at the Palace. Including new clothing...'' she pursed her lips. ''For you.''

Katara's jaw dropped. She stopped walking but resumed after Aang urged her.

''Only for me?''

''Mhm,'' Aang clenched his jaw. Katara shook her head. Surely there was a reason. Otherwise, it was a pretty stupid move from Zuko. Toph continued talking. ''Rumor has it he's been told about the short notice you've been given before departure. Also taken into the account that you live at the damn South Pole. He's probably assumed you would need...''

''I think it was quite considerate of him,'' Sokka interrupted, unaware of the way Toph narrowed her eyes in his direction. ''I mean, who would've guessed Zuko thought about something so small, right?''

''Right,'' Katara's slowly nodded her head.

Aang's hand tensed on her back and she felt like she was being led by him. She didn't mind. It kind of kept her grounded. Otherwise, she would possibly stare at the pavement she stood on in disbelief.

''So, how's dad?''

Katara could've given Sokka another hug for swiftly changing the subject. All of her friends turned to her to listen to her answer.

She told them about the palace renovations. She had to lie a bit. She didn't know much what was going on in her father's life or the Southern Tribe community other than the people who recently have fallen ill or needed treatment for their minor injuries. She could also talk hours about the pointless research her Gran-Gran (as the Tribe's Healer) had appointed her. But as for this specific question, she's had to make up a satisfying and believable answer.

She didn't think any of them noticed.

Spirits, lying was so much easier.

.............................................................................................................................................