Chapter 11 - ''Do you always let other people speak for you?''

Katara did everything to avoid Zuko's stare. Either he didn't care about anyone finding out about what happened last night or he simply couldn't take his eyes off her.

The second one was true. Not that Zuko would every admit it out loud. She surveyed the table, not recognizing most of the dishes before her. As if sensing her dilemma, Aang grabbed her plate. ''I think you should try this.''

He put some cooked vegetables on alongside a little bowl of something that seemed to be... porridge? With a smile on his face, he set it down in front of her.

Katara dished out a spoonful of a grey, sticky liquid. She scrunched her nose. ''What is that?''

Aang was making up the same breakfast for himself, glaring in her direction. ''It's gruel with salted vegetables. The Fire Nation Royal Palace is the only place you can get it. Come on,'' he raised an eyebrow. She hesitated again. It did not look appetizing. ''I promise you it's good.''

''Yeah, if you like bluntness,'' Sokka murmured, still stuffing his face with various meats. He snatched a sausage, pointing it at Katara. ''This is much better.''

''You are so disgusting,'' Toph pretended to be sick, putting two fingers to her mouth. Her plate was empty. It seemed she wasn't hungry. Or perhaps she ate already. Her female friend turned to her. ''It's Komodo rhino meat, I would not recommend it.''

''Why?'' Katara scooped up some of the gruel.

She tasted it slowly, she had to agree with her brother. It had no flavor to it. It would be rude to set it aside though so she continued eating it. Aang appeared to be glad to know she enjoyed something he chose for her. For that reason alone, she would get two more bowls for herself. Everything to make the Avatar happy.

''You'd have to cancel your plans,'' Toph gaped between Aang and Katara. The waterbender felt her cheeks grow hot. So her friends knew then, that Aang would ask her out later. ''And spend the most of the day on the to...''

''Plans?'' the meaningful glance did not escape Zuko. He curiously leaned in on his elbows. Katara had nowhere to hide now. But she still refused to pay attention to him. ''You guys got plans?''

''Well, me and Katara do,'' Aang nodded eagerly, putting down his spoon. He barely ate anything. His hand traveled to rest on top of her shoulders. ''I want to show her 'The Flaming Dumpling'.''

''Really?'' Sokka moaned from his chair. Katara didn't see it but Zuko was now biting his lip hard. ''That's where you're taking my sister? To a place that doesn't even serve meat?''

Katara just kept looking between them. She didn't feel obligated to chip in. Especially since she wasn't sure her voice would be still in front of Zuko. The Fire Lord stopped intently and openly staring at her. But she could tell he was glancing in her direction as if he wanted to tell her something.

''Katara doesn't mind. In fact, she doesn't even like meat,'' Aang stated.

Katara had to hold back from frowning deeply. Where did he get that from? She always ate meat. She was after all, from the South Pole. Animals were the main source of their food. Keeping gardens in a climate like that was impossible. Importing fresh fruits and vegetables was close to it.

Spirits, did he not know her at all?

Sokka tipped his head back, letting out a throaty chuckle. Toph appeared like she wanted to correct Aang's mistake but Katara cut in before she would wipe off his proud grin. She reached behind to put her hand on top of his. ''I don't care what we eat as long as we're together.''

The Avatar beamed at her and before she had time to see what was happening, she felt his soft lips on her cheek. An awkward giggle left her mouth. He usually didn't show any affection like that in public so even a stupid peck was unusual in front of her closest friends.