Chapter 12 - ''Stay away from her.''

She was really shallow, she's decided. Shallow and petty.

The upsetting events of the morning had motivated Katara to do everything in her power to impress Aang.

Spirits, she'd do anything to make him happy.
She kept repeating to herself that it was the only reason she yearned for the Avatar's special attention.

She definitely didn't choose that particular dress to damn the Fire Lord.

Zuko's words struck true.

She was going to ignore and accept how her friends treated her.
The alternative was much more miserable.
Or so Katara thought.

''I can't see what you're wearing,'' Toph reminded from her bed. She surprisingly came to check on her few hours after she got back from the library. Since then, she splayed on her bed and gave out most unhelpful advice. But Katara appreciated it nonetheless. She missed spending time with the earthbender. ''But it must be something since your heartbeat is out of control right now.''

''How can you even tell without touching the ground with your feet?'' Katara scoffed, brushing through her hair for a thousandth time.

The dress itself wasn't the thing the waterbender was most nervous about. She couldn't tell her friend that though.

Material of the dress was yes, revealing. A low cleavage and thin straps exposed way too much for a simple dinner but it matched her mother's necklace beautifully. The only mercy was that the dress was long enough to reach her ankles. Even if it was a bit tight in the places she preferred it not to be that way.

''I have my ways,'' Toph flipped her hair. It was getting longer that usual. Whether she cared or not, Katara wouldn't dare ask. She did do that once. Even offered to cut it for her. She barely escaped a flying boulder. ''You know, you are behaving quite strange these days.''

Katara did everything in her power to keep her breathing still. She frowned. ''What do you mean?''

''People keep underestimating me, honestly,'' Toph rolled her eyes. ''I might be blind but I see more than you do.''

It was true. The earthbender would quite often call her friends out on things they're stressing about or get excited for. All thanks to her another unique quality; the seismic sense.

''And what did you see in me then?''

Toph put her arms behind her head, getting even more comfortable. ''You get anxious. A lot. If I didn't know you, I'd say you're keeping a secret. That's not it though. You're nervous around someone. I think I got a pretty good idea who that is.''

Katara had to come up with something real fast. She had gotten pretty good at lying but Toph was even better at spotting the non truths. It was a rare thing to lie to her successfully.

She continued spreading a white eye paint over her eye. Inhale. Exhale. Then applied a bit more powder to the bruise she got from Zuko.

''I don't know what you're talking about.''

''I think you do,'' Toph chirped wickedly. ''I knew you were smitten with Aang but he never made you act like that before.''

Katara didn't have to fake her confusion. She put down a brush, glancing to her friend. A small mercy that she couldn't see the look she gave her now. ''I don't act any different.''

''You so do.''

''No, I don't!''

Toph cackled, flashing her teeth. She pulled back on the pillows. ''What's changed then?'' she's asked curiously once she stopped making fun of Katara.