Chapter 44 - ''But she was not you.''

''Have you found anything?!'' Sokka called up into the air as soon as he's noticed Aang landing near the cave's entrance, folding his stuff into a long cane. ''Anything at all?''

The Avatar's face was grim. He merely shrugged, passing by Sokka. ''Only more despair than I could account for.''

They both walked into the rock cavity. The airbender approached Appa straight away, petting his fur gently. Katara walked up to him, putting her hand on his shoulder.

The whole situation they found themselves in was messed up. It weighed heavily on his shoulders and she could do nothing but feel bad for him.

He glared at her, then surveyed the people that were with them. His eyes set on Mai. The ropes tied on her feet and wrists, as she stared up at him in hatred.

He tilted his head, pointing at her. ''What is going on here?''

Katara let Sokka tell Aang everything. With every piece of information they've gathered, his grin widened into a smile. The waterbender stopped listening as soon as Momo flew in, almost smacking her in the face.

He sat on top of her head, chirping joyfully at her sight. She chuckled happily as she stroked him gently. ''I've missed you too, buddy.''

With his big eyes, the lemur observed her before moving to sit on her shoulder. He stayed there as the voices around them grew louder. Heated, almost.

''So what? We're just giving her what she wants? What if this is some kind of trick?'' Aang hissed toward Mai, unbothered as always. Even after the events of yesterday, she still contained her ignorance.

''I know you didn't want Zuko to know,'' Sokka stepped up to the Avatar. ''But I have a reason to believe she says the truth. All we might find without her help is death.''

''How can you be so sure? She might be lying!''

The wind, clearly manipulated by Aang, whistled through the rocks on the ground.

''Let's say she's had... motivation,'' The Warrior of the Southern Water Tribe briefly peered at his sister. ''I don't doubt what she said.''

Toph and Hakoda remained silent, standing away in the distance.

The Avatar frowned. He looked between them all. As if trying to decide what would be the best approach.

''Didn't they break up or something?'' Aang questioned, his voice full of confusion. ''Why would she want to see him?''

''Beats me,'' Sokka scratched his chin.

''Wouldn't it be wise to at least get Zuko here and see what he thinks?'' Hakoda suggested. Katara squinted his eyes at him. ''It couldn't hurt, right?''

Toph kicked his ankle and the Chief's pupils dilated as he gawked at the little woman next to him. She shrugged carelessly but Katara's father turned to his daughter at once.

As if sensing the movement, Aang did the same thing. He tilted his head to the side as the waterbender shifted on her feet.

''What do you think, Katara?'' he's asked curiously.

She could tell he was suspecting something. The way her friends acted when talking about Zuko now was different. They would now associate him with her.

She swallowed hard. Her chest tightened as she forced herself to say the next words. It went against everything she wanted. ''If they love each other, perhaps the Fire Lord will be successful in getting her to lead us there without any sort of trickery.''

Aang considered her for a moment. Then he nodded his head slowly. ''I hope you're right.''

''It's decided then?'' Sokka raised his brow. ''We're bringing Zuko here?''