Chapter 33 - ''I didn't mean to be rough with you.''

Her mouth was dry.

That was the first thought Katara had once she woke up. That is, until she opened her eyes fully to realize she wasn't in her chamber.

She was in the Fire Lord's bedroom.

She kicked off the blanket covering her body. It was so hot in here.

She jerked up and the sudden movement made Zuko stir next to her. Katara was still in her dress; her muscles ached and her head throbbed.

''Go back to sleep,'' the firebender muttered into the pillow. His hair was unbound, falling gently around him and hiding away the scar.

''I really did come here, didn't I?'' she groaned. She wiped at her eyes. ''I thought it was just a dream.''

Zuko turned to lay on his back. He glared at her. His voice was raspy and it sent shivers down her spine. ''You sound disappointed.''

Katara slowly got up. ''I can't say I'm proud,'' she scoffed.

The Fire Lord observed her closely. His lip curved upward. ''I'm glad you feel that way,'' he teased. ''Perhaps next time you might reconsider getting yet another glass of wine.''

Katara rolled her eyes. She summoned the water from the jug she's noticed on his bedside table. Putting glowing hands on the sides of her face, she almost whimpered as the headache started fading away. ''I'm never touching alcohol ever again.''

''Now, don't be a bore,'' Zuko's nose creased up. ''Just listen to me the next time I tell you that's enough.''

''You're so bossy.''

Katara sighed in a relief as the pain left her. She pulled away the water, letting it fall all back into the pitcher. She started working down her ribbons now.

''You need help with that?''

''I'm okay, thank you,'' she rolled her eyes. Tightening the straps around herself, she got up once more. Purposely avoiding looking at Zuko.

Katara was embarrassed. She did not remember everything but she still felt the shadows of his hands on her body, she could taste his lips on hers and the tight grip around her throat.

''I'm sorry,'' Zuko said suddenly. She whipped around to glare at him as he lifted himself up on his elbows. ''I didn't mean to be rough with you.''

Her brows raised, she approached his side of the bed. The dress quietly whooshing on the floor as he watched her closely. She could see the genuineness of the apology. However unnecessary it was. ''You weren't.''

''But I was,'' he argued. Sitting up, the covers pooled at the bed. As usual, only red, loose trousers covered his body. It was hard not to stare at him while he grabbed Katara's hands. She did not object. ''I was. I'm not just talking about sex... I also mean yesterday. I overreacted. I'm sorry.''

Katara sighed deeply. She moved to sit in his lap. Zuko surprisingly wrapped his arms around her waist at once. His eyes did not leave her face as he awaited her reaction.

He'd pray to the Spirits all day long if he'd have to. Only so she forgives him.

Her hands cuffed his face. She returned his gaze with the same intensity. ''I did too. Overreact, I mean. I should've apologized straight after but instead, I ran the other way. To the man that doesn't even treat me half as good as you do.''

''Katara...''

''It's true,'' the words came out a broken whisper. Her eyes glistened with tears. ''You are the only person that truly sees me. I feel as though... I can be myself around you. I don't need to keep any secrets from you, because you accept everything that I am. The scary parts and all.''