Chapter 25 - ''I could never do this to you.''

Katara knocked on the door only once.

It opened immediately.

Aang's face contorted with rage.

There was no sign of the innocent boy she once knew. His jaw clenched, he ushered her in and slammed the wooden platform behind her.

Katara twitched. Swallowing hard, she looked at the Avatar who returned the gesture. His nostrils widened. He was wearing a robe that only covered one of his shoulders, exposing part of his muscled chest.

''I was looking for you,'' a belligerent tone made the waterbender grow cold. He barely used it whenever he talked to her. But oh, she's heard it before.

Spirits, he was furious.

''I know,'' she glanced around the room, noticing that it was similar to hers. Except the window. He had much smaller one with a completely different view. No surprise, since it was on the opposite side of the Palace. ''That's why I'm here.''

''Where were you?''

Her heart was beating loudly in her chest now. As if it wanted to yell at her. For what she was going to do, was against its wish.

Katara knew the drill. She perfected it over the years.

First, her face relaxed, her lids dropping slightly.

Then she took one, small step forward. In the sunlight, she hoped Aang would see the circles under her eyes.

She put the ashy shadow on before finding him. Along with a bit of rosy one on the cheeks to make her look flushed.

Just as if she was really ill. Fever, she's decided earlier. That's what she would go with.

She willed her voice to be weak, quiet. Her brows drew together.  ''I was in my room. I thought one of the guards told you.''

''Yes,'' Aang muttered. He was scanning her body now. Katara knew he was searching for the evidence of what he was told. He wouldn't find any though. She excelled in covering her tracks. ''That's not everything I was told though.''

Katara tilted her head. ''What do you mean?''

Easy, she told herself. Breathe.

There was something out of this world in Aang's expression.

She knew what this meant.

He was close to getting into his Avatar State.

His pupils flared. His teeth flashed as the inhumane growl escaped his throat. ''You were seen sleeping naked next to the Fire Lord. In his very chamber.''

Katara gasped. Opening her eyes wider, she thought of what she was doing. How she had to use deception on her friend in order to keep in the dark. To make him happy.

Tears appeared a second later. Surprise flickered across Aang's face but stayed there only for a moment. ''Who would lie about such a thing?'' the waterbender's voice broke.

His lip curled. ''I know what the two of you were doing,'' he spit out. His eyes even brighter now. ''I thought you were my friends!''

''I-I... Aang, it's not true! I was in my room all night!'' she argued, controlling the way her body shook at his raised tone.

Aang was breathing heavily now. He took a step closer, making Katara automatically move back. ''I will kill him.''

She did not need to fake her panic. It rose within her as the Avatar's arrow started glowing faintly. ''Aang, please, believe me!'' she cried out as he cornered her.