Chapter 5 - ''An absolute shitshow, isn't it?''

''Lady Katara, are you ready?'' male voice sounded through the door.

Katara looked at herself for the last time in the mirror. She took a long bath and put on her dress. She spent last 30 minutes brushing through her hair which was so long, it caressed her waist. She did up her hair loops and put on some delicate eye shadow she's found among other cosmetics in one of the desk's drawers.

The knock sounded again, this time a little more rushed.

''I'm coming!''

She eyed a lipstick she's been staring at. Deciding whether she should put it on. She doubted it would be appropriate but the colour was just so pretty. The woman in her was aching to have it on her lips. It looked like a real ruby.

Sighing, she closed the drawer. Another day. Another time.

She stood up. She smoothed out her dress. She swayed a little approaching the door. Damn uncomfortable shoes. She's found them in the bathroom. Such a strange place to leave this absolutely stunning footwear. They were white with silver stripes that went up to her knees. The heel was high so she prayed to the Spirits she wouldn't make a fool of herself, falling on her face.

Katara opened up the door, revealing Chan's bored face and his hand hanging in the air. Oh, he was about to knock again.

''Sorry,'' she blushed as his eyes slowly scanned her body. She felt herself shrinking. ''I didn't mean to take up that much time.''

Chan cleared his throat. He stepped back to let her out of her room. ''It's quite alright. The meeting starts in 10 minutes.''

''We better get going then,'' she offered a smile. Chan started walking down the corridor but he kept glancing back at her. It was driving Katara mad. She scoffed, clearly annoyed. ''What?''

Chan didn't say anything. He led the way in silence and Katara crossed her arms. She ignored him for the rest of the way, focusing on all the turns. Trying to memorise them in case she had to go back to her room by herself tonight.

She did hope she wouldn't have to though. Perhaps her friends would be willing to spend some time with her. It would be nice to go out later. See what's changed in the city since the last time she was here.

Approaching the last corner, they appeared in a huge foyer. There was a tall armour suit standing in middle. Except that there was only large double doors. They were closed and she supposed that's where the meeting was being held. She heard someone laugh through there and she was definitely sure that was the place.

Chan stopped in front, looking at her face. ''Are you ready?''

Didn't he ask that already? She swallowed hard. Her hands were slightly trembling but she hid them behind her back.

''I am.''

He nodded. He grabbed one of the latches. He opened them slightly and all the voices inside grew clearer. Louder.

''You look beautiful, by the way.''

Her head snapped to Chan who winked at her and opened the gates further. They made an awful, loud sound and everyone went silent.

First thing she's noticed was a lot of guards leaning against the walls. She quickly counted around twenty of them. All armoured. Scanning the room as if looking for any danger.

Her eyes finally landed on the low, rectangular table in the middle of a long hall. It didn't have seats. People were sitting on the floor, in the lotus position.

Either uncaring or unknowing of who she was, people she saw first time in her life resumes the conversations. She's realised most of them were men. She literally saw one woman amongst them and Toph who was now speaking with a man who was at least double her age.