Chapter 6 - ''It seems you're easily distracted today.''

Zuko was right. The meeting didn't take much longer. As she kept glancing at the candle she spotted moments later, she's realized it had only taken about two hours overall. Everyone started standing up and leaving the room.

Some people stayed, continuing the heated conversations. Most of them used hushed voices.

Katara remained seated, not actually knowing what to do with herself. With a corner of her eye, she's noticed Aang, Toph and Sokka talking to someone who was definitely older than her father. Zuko was stolen away by yet another person she didn't know and now stood inches away from her, listening carefully.

Sighing, she slowly stood up. She glanced around and mercifully, she spotted Chan leaning against the wall. Staring at her. She approached him.

''You're kind of the only person I know here,'' she's admitted when he raised his eyebrow at her. She took the same position, her back to the cold stone. Both of them had their arms crossed, scanning the room. ''How sad is that?''

''It's not sad at all,'' he shrugged, observing everyone in the room. Katara thought he must be growing bored himself, never engaging in the conversations, just always there like a shadow. '' I mean, not for me anyways. At least I get to talk to you, Lady Katara.''

''You know, you don't have to call me that,'' she muttered, her lips thinning.

''What shall I call you then? A princess?''he asked curiously. She gazed up at him. He looked so smug, Katara couldn't help but chuckle. ''What?''

''Just call me Katara,'' she raised her hand to shake his own.

He regarded it for a second before shaking it properly. His smile this time was genuine. ''Are you sure, Katara?''

''Yes,'' she angled her chin down. ''I am no Lady.''

''People will talk,'' Chan whistled amused.

''I don't care,'' she shrugged.

She meant it. Even though she was the Chief's daughter, she never felt like having any power over people. Never wanted it. It only gave her more responsibilities and earned her some respect that she didn't feel like she deserved. It's not like she would lead the Southern Tribe anyway.

This was always Sokka's position to inherit. She had no part in this legacy. Always a princess, never a Chief. She made her peace with it a long time ago.

''So, what happens now?''

''Well, hopefully these hyenas will leave soon and then I suppose you and your friends will have a chance to talk things through.''

''Hyenas?'' she repeated confused.

The Captain sighed, looking tired already. She was pretty sure it was around noon. Still early but she shared his pain. After travelling from the South Pole, she also wished for a bed and peace. ''His advisors,'' he dipped his head to point at Zuko who was unaware of them talking about him. He was turned back to them anyways, now entertaining five other men. ''They can be a real pain in the ass.''

Unbothered by his language, she watched every man left in the room. They all were about a similar age. That must've meant one thing. ''They were Ozai's advisors too?''

Chan swallowed hard. ''Yes.''

Shiver went down her spine. Katara did not enjoy thinking about Ozai at all. Wherever he was, he was no better than dead. Without his bending, he was no real danger anymore. Yet, she still felt uneasy whenever she heard his name.

''Couldn't he just form a new court?''

''It's not entirely up to him,'' Chan explained, still focused. Still observing. ''He would have to get people of the Fire Nation to sign off on an idea of having a brand new council. As you probably can imagine, it's hard when so many people genuinely served Ozai and his cruel ideas.''