Chapter 23 - ''Will this guilt ever go away?''

Her head was pounding. The thoughts crossing Katara's mind were unbearable. She sat up, the sheets pooling at her thighs. A chilly air from the window someone has opened hugged her naked body. 

Groaning loudly, she pulled up at blanket to cover herself a bit. 

Zuko stirred next to her. 

She looked over her shoulder at his still closes eyes. The way his chest rose up and down in even rhythm. His hair messy from what she did with it last night, pulling at it as he worshiped her body. Then her sight snapped to the shoulder, to the wound that still needed a bit more healing.

Katara touched her own ear. Dried blood no doubt covering it, she winced a little. Well, that needed some attention too. 

Later, she's told herself still observing the Fire Lord. His scar equally visible on the side of his face, just like the one on his chest. Given to him by his own sister. Because of Katara. 

Spirits, he was ready to sacrifice his own life for her even then. 

''Hey,'' Zuko's eyes fluttered open. He scanned her body, noting her skin and curves poking out from where she left it for him to see. ''How are you feeling?''

Katara laughed. Tipping her head back, ear-piercing sound came out of her mouth. Zuko sat up immediately, amusement flickering across his face. ''Seriously?'' she raised her eyebrow as she calmed down a little. 

Zuko shrugged. ''I was trying to be nice.''

''Well, don't,'' she placed her palm on his cheek. Automatically, the Fire Lord leaned into her touch. She smiled a little. 

''Talk to me,'' he pleaded. 

Katara let out a long, heavy sigh. Glancing back at his shoulder, she untangled herself from the sheets. The smell of their bodily passions last night hit her nostrils but she tried to ignore the rising sensation. Even if Zuko's stare followed her as she grabbed the water basin on dresser.

Whether it was there last night or someone brought it in the morning, she was not keen to find out just yet. 

Surveying the floor, she spotted her blue undergarments and quickly put them on. Every movement, she was watched. Every second, her skin flushed more and more. 

Katara finally came but to Zuko who was now sitting up at the edge with a crimson blanket around his torso. She tried not to look down, knowing she'd find him completely naked. A thought alone was making her hot. 

She called the water to her hands. Directing them to his wound, Zuko shuddered a little at the cold impact. ''I don't know how I'm feeling,'' she admitted after a second. Working on his shoulder, the skin was starting to patch up. 

''Try explaining,'' he asked quietly. His eyes were half closed. He didn't look back at her which she appreciated. It was easier to talk to him like this; without the lust on his face that she knew was there. 

''Physically, I'm okay,'' she started. ''More than okay actually. I feel amazing.''

''You're welcome.''

Zuko hissed as Katara punched his other arm. Then she continued healing while a little smirk appeared on her face. ''I'm lost, Zuko. I don't know what to do.''

''Do you mean with Aang?'' Katara nodded, her heart tightening hearing his name. Zuko didn't see it but he felt the movement behind him. He exhaled slowly. ''Do you regret what happened?''

Did she regret possibly the best thing that happened to her in years

Spirits, no. The guilt was already there even before she did the most unforgivable thing to Aang. Remorse of not loving him that way anymore... it was eating at her during all this time she spent at the South Pole. But now? 

Katara was finally with Aang. He loved her and she knew it. Even after what she just did... she kind of wanted to try it with him. That's what her brain was telling her to do. Be with the Avatar as it was meant to be from the beginning. 

Just like the whole world was expecting. 

Even if her heart... Agni, her heart was shuttered. Whereas being with Aang brought her joy, spending time with Zuko, experiencing new things... she couldn't begin to describe what that felt like. 

Finishing the healing, Katara dropped the water back into the basin. Zuko turned around to look at her. ''Katara?''

The Fire Lord was concerned. When it came to the waterbender, he did not care about anyone or anything. Yes, Aang was his friend. Yes, he also betrayed him. 

He did not feel bad about it though. He just hoped Katara would share his point of view. Admit to the awful thing they did and live on. Because even if it was wrong, it felt so right.  

Katara sniffed. Zuko immediately cupped her face. The tears already falling down her cheeks, she met his stare. ''I never wanted anyone more than I want you,'' she whispered. Zuko stopped breathing. His pupils widened. ''It's true. I don't know how that's possible. And I...I-I just...''

He moved closer. ''What?''

''I am with Aang,'' her eyelids dropped as she turned her head away in shame. Her eyes burned. ''I think... I rushed into it. I said 'yes' too fast.''

There it was. Finally. Even with her chest strained from all the emotions, she felt a bit easier. Relieved. 

Last night was life changing for her. She thought about it all night when Zuko fell asleep. How she perceived her destiny to be unfulfilled ever since the war ended. It made sense to her now. 

It was because even thought Aang was the Avatar, she no longer had to rely on him. Yes, he saved the world. But he wasn't the center of it anymore.

She only wished she realized it sooner. Now? Spirits, she had to fix it somehow. Perhaps start by telling him the truth.  

Zuko's thumb wiped away one of the escaping tears. ''Do you love him still?''

''I haven't for a long time,'' she admitted silently. 

''That night in the garden...''

''I lied,'' her voice broke. At the sound, Zuko felt like something in him cracked too. ''I cherish his friendship but I think I just wanted to fool myself into thinking it could be something more than that.''

Zuko gathered her up to his chest. She leaned into his touch, his warm skin as he wrapped his arms around her. ''It's okay, Katara. We're just people. We make mistakes.''

''Will it stop?'' she sobbed. ''Will this guilt ever go away?''

''No,'' Zuko brushed his fingers through her hair. ''Never.''

................................................................................................................................................................

Hey babies!

Hey babies!

So yes today's chapter is less eventful than the last two. I hope you still enjoy it though! 

What do you think Katara will do now? What's Zuko's plan?

Love, Ronnie.