Chapter 23 - For The World To See

“You ready?” Mapi asks from beside me, as if she wasn't the one who refused to get on the ride for the past 14 minutes. I laugh at the sight of her knuckles clenched white over the handrails, back pressed against the seat.

“Yes. I'm ready. You don't look too good.” I tease, but it's too late to do anything as the ride begins to spin, faster and faster and then we're flying through the air and she is somehow gripping onto the bar tighter. She screams, her other arm moving to grip harshly onto my thigh as I laugh endlessly. The wind whips round us, the breeze the coldest you'll ever find in San Diego. “Mapi! Look, camera!” I point out, not even sure if she hears me as she keeps screaming. I grab her hand and pull them up above our heads, smiling widely when she stops screaming for a second.

Eventually, the ride stops and we're let out of the belts the worker had us safely tucked into. Relief floods Mapi's face as soon as she touches the ground, her form slumping to the ground to give it a feverish kiss. I giggle at her, pulling her up into my arms and giving her a hug. Her cheeks are flushed red from the exhilaration and her lip is swollen where she'd withheld a scream. “Photo?” I ask, and she nods, turning to nuzzle her head into my neck and place a light kiss into it.

I ease my phone out of my pocket and open up the camera, snapping a few of the two of us standing in front of the ride. Before I put it away, I check through them, the last one instantly becoming my favourite image.

Mapi still has her face nuzzled within my neck, but her eyes are looking directly into the camera. I'm laughing, a grin teasing at my lips as I look down into her. There's nothing but pure happiness in my eyes, something I haven't seen in a while.

I didn't realise I was staring st it until Mapi kicks softly at the back of my knee. “Oi, you. I'm starving.” She jokes, peering over my shoulder at the thing that has stolen all my attention. A new warmth radiated off of her and I lean into her arms. “I think that's the last one we need. And if the people don't get it from that then they are.. oblivious.” Mapis arms twist around my waist and holds me tight, forcing a sigh to tumble from my lips.

“Love you.” I murmer. And she kisses my cheek.

“Now where is the best place to get food?” Her eyes scan around the pier as I point to a nearby food truck. She raises a brow and I laugh.

“Okay, so not the healthiest but I swear they do the best burgers in all of San Diego.” I feel her shrug in response and her hands slide down to interlock with my own.

“Then burgers is what we shall get.”

She lets me pull her along towards the multi-coloured van, breaking off from my arm as I place the order. She's on a phone call, the other person's voice familiar as it talks. Mapi hasn't said anything yet, nodding her head every so often and grinning into the air. I focus on receiving the food, rolling my eyes when she slides across a couple of dollars before I could get there.

Aimlessly, I start to pick at the chips and listen intently into her conversation. She still hasn't spoken, but is avidly listening to the voice on the other side. Then, she speaks up. “That's great! And you'll never guess what..” she pauses and accepts the chip I'm pressing towards her lips. I expect her to tell the girl about us finally getting together but instead I'm blown away when she swallows and keeps going. “I'm eating the most delicious chips ever and it's Monday!” She grins, seemingly more happy about breaking the strict diet than having a date day with me. Mapi smirks as I pout childishly, finishing up her call and pinching another chip.

“You alright, bebita?” She teases, and I stick my tongue out at her. We find a bench to take a seat on it, a scenic view over the ocean being our chosen spot.

“When do you leave?” I hum, and she puts down the burger she has clenched between her hands.

“Trying to get rid of me already?”

“You know that's not true. It's soon though, isn't it? You want to be back in time to increase your chances of playing El Clasico.”

“2 days.” Mapi sighs, and I find myself leaning further into her as if my body knows it'll be touch deprived for so long. The food is suddenly dry and chewy in my mouth, the bread sticking to the roof. Tears are welling at my eyes before I can even realise it, and my muscles begin to tremble from beside her. Almost like a synchronised dance, Mapi takes my food and places it on the floor, twisting to take me within her arms. I'm sobbing, barely understanding why. I managed 7 years without her in my life, and now im ugly crying because she's leaving.

“Hey, Lottie. I'm not truly going anywhere. You know I'm always a phone call away whether it be the middle of the night or 3 in the afternoon. I will answer it and I will give you my undivided attention. Now how about we go get that last photo, yeah?” Her hands don't once stop caressing my arm, every so often squeezing tightly for extra support. Her voice is soft and soothing and comforting - it's been a while since I've felt so at peace. All of a sudden, she steps up, taking one last bite of the almost-finished pizza and grabbing onto my hand. She's racing me down the pier, onto the beach until the disgusting feeling of sand between my toes is inevitable. Mapi raises her eyebrows at my turned up nose, but rolls her eyes and pulls me further anyway till I have no choice but to follow. Without a word, she stops and places her hands on her hips, positioning me until she was exactly where she wanted me. Then she left, positioned her phone against a rock and set a timer. Within 10 seconds she ran back to me and lifted me into her arms and it's only then that I realise that she is recreating the photo.

My second favourite photo, only after the one taken just now.

This time, however, instead of her lips being on my cheek, she pressed them onto my lips lovingly.

“It's perfect.” Mapi nods slowly, and I can only grin in response. She quickly opens up Instagram, selecting the photos we'd taken over the day and placing it into a new post, the last one being the one of us just taken. Before she clicked ‘finish’ she turned to face me. “Ready?”

“Never will be.”

Her hovering thumb presses down, and it's suddenly out of our control.

@MariaLeonn16

Liked by: Alexmorgan13, Mapisbiggesfan and 341

Liked by: Alexmorgan13, Mapisbiggesfan and 341.547 more.
Tagged PeytonMoore4

L, the other half of me.

Comments disabled.

(Sorry about the wait (as always) next chapter should be out soon because does1tmatt3r writes really quickly. I hope you like the way the story is going and if not, stuff it. (Joking, leave a comment and tell us what you don't like) love ya<3)