can i ask you a question...?

loosely inspired by the annual christmas eve viewing of meet me in st. louis... the girls that get it, get it.

-----

Travis's hand that isn't holding Taylor's is buried deep within his jacket pocket. He can feel the velvet that's coating the little box in there. He's terrified. More nervous than he's ever been about anything in his life, he's pretty sure. He's spent weeks trying to formulate the right words to say when tonight rolls around, and now, it's finally here. And just like a true doofus, he still doesn't quite know what the most perfect way to make the speech is going to be. 

They're up in Rhode Island, having made the decision to spend a quiet holiday together after she just finished up the last shows of her Eras Tour. It's been the craziest two years of her life, and she has loved every minute of it, but taking a few weeks out of the spotlight is exactly what she needs. Travis has been with her for every moment that he's been able to be. Right now is a case and point: he had a game in Boston this afternoon, and the second that he was able to, he was in the car back to Holiday House. He got in by dinner, and the two shared a nice meal that Taylor had cooked before Travis had suggested that they go for a little walk along the beach.

They're in for a big snowstorm tonight. By all predictions, it's going to be a white Christmas- the first one in many years. The flurries are already starting to roll in, though it isn't supposed to really start snowing until midnight. Still, the weather has done nothing but favors for Travis. He doesn't think he could've made it a more special evening if he'd have tried, knowing how Taylor loves the snow. The nipping of the wind makes her want to stay snuggled up against his body as they walk along to the sound of the waves rolling in and breaking on the shore. Of course, he doesn't complain. He holds her tight and breathes in the ocean air.

As their nighttime stroll nears an end, they climb up the stairs back to Taylor's patio. She's already got some string lights up there, glowing in a warm golden haze. His heart starts to beat fast. He knows that it's now or never. It's time. This is his moment.

Out of the corner of his eye, he can see one of Taylor's security guards hiding in the bushes. He'd asked the team if they could be there to capture photos and videos of the moment. He knew that one of her security guards had even managed to get his hands on Taylor's favorite camera- the one with that special filter that seems to coat the world in a purple hue, making everything feel more warm and cozy somehow. He hopes that all goes well on the end of the security team. But that's not his issue to worry about right now. Instead, he turns his focus back to the most incredible woman who is standing beside him.

"I can't believe that tomorrow is our second Christmas together," he says. "Remember last year?"

Taylor lets out a little giggle, her eyes lighting up in the glimmer of the moon. "You were so nervous, wanting to make sure everything was perfect. It was so cute."

"Last year was pretty different. High stakes, having your family around, and the game on Christmas day..."

"I'm glad it's just the two of us this year," she smiles at him. "And the fact that you came so quickly after your game just to make sure that it could be the two of us..." She takes in a deep breath as she looks into his eyes, glistening in the light of the twinkle lights strung above his head. "I really appreciate you. I don't know if I say it enough."

Travis smiles at her. It's time. He knows it in his heart. Without knowing it, Taylor has provided a perfect segue. He slips off his gloves and shoves them into his pocket before taking her gloved hands in his bare ones.

Don't screw this up, Trav, he thinks to himself.

"You don't have to say it," he says, his eyes looking right into hers. He doesn't break eye contact, doesn't let anything distract him as he speaks his words, slowly to be sure he's choosing the right ones. It's times like these, when it really lingers in his mind that he's fallen in love with somebody who is far more poetic than he'll ever be able to dream of being. Still, he knows that Taylor loves him for exactly who he is, and he also knows that it makes the times when he does manage to say something beautiful even more special. And he's determined to make this speech magnificent.