getaway (1)

It's always nice to spend a few days away from it all. From the flashing lights and whispered rumors of the internet. Taylor loves her job. She has the life she's always dreamed of having. But that doesn't mean that it can't be too much sometimes.

That's why she's really grown to treasure any kind of escapism that she can manage to grip onto. This week, after finishing up her tour a few short weeks ago, Taylor has booked a villa on a private island in the Florida Keys to spend some time with her family. Specifically, her parents, Travis, and his parents. It's a place where they can all spend some time in the sun, enjoy themselves, and just relax. Taylor has pretty much lived in her bikini for the last few days and halfway through the trip, her sun-kissed smile says everything. She's recharging and she couldn't be happier.

That is, until their fourth day on the island, when she just doesn't quite feel right. She spends a lot of the day on the sofa, watching TV and trying to drink water, figuring that's the problem. In the Florida sun, it's easy to get dehydrated, no doubt. Still, she can't seem to get it to go away.

"Are you alright, hon?" Travis says to her. "Should I call the doctor?"

"No, no," she says. "I'm good. Really, I promise. Just need a little rest. The tour caught up to me, that's all."

"Okay," Travis tells her, raising his eyebrow. "If you're sure."

That's not the thought that's truly lingering in the back of her mind, though, a whispered confession told only to Blake on a FaceTime call in the afternoon, when everyone else is out at the beach. She can see them through the window, all having fun, Travis and the dads splashing around in the water while Donna and Andrea sit on beach chairs, chatting and sipping cocktails.

"Blake," she says, "can I ask you something and can you promise to not freak out?"

"Totally," her best friend says. "You know me. I'm chill. I've heard and seen it all."

The singer lets out a small chuckle. "Right. Yeah. Uh... when you've been pregnant, what were your first warning signs?" Her heart pounds as she lets the words fall out of her mouth. Saying it out loud feels even scarier than having the thoughts.

Blake's eyes widen. "Taylor." She speaks with excitement laced in her voice, but tries to conceal it. "Do you think-"

"I don't know," she says, running her fingers through her hair. "I'm a little worried about it, honestly."

"How would you feel about it if you were?" Blake asks.

Taylor can only let out a nervous laugh. "Oh my god... I don't even know. On one hand... I love Travis and I know we could handle it, but on the other... I don't know if I'll ever feel ready to be a parent."

"Nobody feels ready," Blake shakes her head. "It happens when the time is right. But don't freak out yet. Just... what's going on?"

"I've been feeling really off today. My stomach's been twisting and turning ever since I woke up. It came on really suddenly, just like that. I've been drinking water all day, but it hasn't really helped."

"And your period?" Blake asks, raising her eyebrows at Taylor.

Instantly, Taylor's face flushes a bright red. That's all that Blake needs to see to know the answer. Their bond is strong- they don't ever shy away from personal topics. She's not embarrassed by the mere mention of her period.

And Taylor's quiet words confirm it. "It's late. Just by a little bit, but..."

"A little bit late can pretty quickly turn into nine months," the actress muses. "Did you tell Travis yet?"