touched down (2)

Travis is over the moon as Taylor runs into his arms after her concert. Today is the day- the real reason why he flew all the way to Australia. It's their six month anniversary. He's pretty sure Taylor thinks he forgot. She played 'How You Get The Girl.' The sound of her voice on that lyric is still ringing in his ears: "Say it's been a long six months." But he didn't forget a single thing. The date has been at the front of his mind all day- and pretending to not remember, not acknowledging it at all, was all part of his plan.

"Hey there, pretty girl," he whispers to her after she places a kiss on his lips. With his arm around her, they walk out of the stadium. "You got some energy left in you still?"

She raises her eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"I've got a little something planned... since it's six months and all."

She turns to him, her face lighting up and her eyes wide. "You remembered!"

"Of course I did," he tells her. "Why do you think I was so insistent that I wanted to come this weekend instead of next? I just wanted to pull off a surprise, that's all."

She reaches up and kisses him again as they walk. "I love you. Oh my god. What did you plan?"

"That's for me to know, and for you to find out in time. Do you trust me?"

She looks to him and nods eagerly. "Of course I do. You know I do."

"Good. The car's waiting outside."

"I would've looked nicer if I'd have known..."

"What you've got is perfect. Come on, there's a whole world out there that we can go explore. We don't have time to worry about silly things like clothes and makeup. Because you're the most beautiful no matter what, but you're even more beautiful when you're like this. You're relaxed. You're happy. It's what I love to see."

"I'm all sweaty. I smell bad," she protests.

"You do not. You never smell bad."

She giggles. "Whatever you say..."

"Do you want to go out or not?" he asks her.

"I do."

"Then get your perfect little ass in the car," he teases her, reaching down and pats her bum, giving her a small push toward the car, which is right in front of them. She giggles and scurries for the vehicle.

"I can't believe you did this," she says once they're both buckled in.

"You planned everything else for my time here. And it's been amazing... but I knew that if I wanted to get a surprise in, I had to do it when you wouldn't ever see it coming," he tells her.

In response, she squeezes his hand. That's all she needs to do. There are no words that could communicate any of it more clearly than that. Those three squeezes, to tell him she loves him. That she appreciates him more than even she could ever articulate. She's an absolute genius with words- everyone knows that. She's the best songwriter of her generation. Still, at times, words can only go so far. This is one of those times.

They get to the destination and the car pulls into a parking lot by the water. Travis smiles at his girlfriend. "Remember when I said there's a whole world out there for us to explore?"

"Yeah..."

"Come on. I want to show you some of it."

Taylor blushes. "Trav... I can't do that. There's a world out there, sure, but it's not for people like me. It's for other people. People who aren't the subject of every tabloid headline, real or fake."