manicure (1)

July 27, 2024
Kansas City, Kansas, USA
7:43 PM

Travis Kelve sits on Patrick Mahomes's porch and glances around nervously as he takes a slow breath. He's extremely aware of the condensation on the can of Budweiser his hands are wrapped around, making him unsure if his palms are sweating from his anxiety or if it's just a cold can of beer on a hot summer day. His best friend invited him over to enjoy a beer and watch as the Kansas City sun sinks from the sky, only two days before they're set to begin training camp. Travis eagerly accepted the offer. Not only is he alone, with Taylor off commanding the crowds at her fingertips all across Europe, but he also needs some advice.

That's why he's anxious. It's what he needs to pick Patrick's brain about, searching for any words of wisdom that his friend may have to offer.

Patrick knows his best friend well enough to know when something is on the tight end's mind. And by the way the Travis is biting his lip, one hand now shoved into his pocket as he stares off into the backyard, Patrick knows something is up. His wife, Brittany, and their children playing on the swing set just aren't interesting enough to garnish the sort of unbroken attention that Travis's stare is giving them. So, Patrick asks. "What's going on, man?"

Travis lets out a small chuckle. "That obvious, huh?"

Patrick only nods. "Come on out with it. What's on your mind?'

A small, shy grin forms on Travis's lips as he takes a breath and starts to speak. "I need some advice on how to ask a woman to marry me."

Patrick lets a huge smile break onto his face. "Trav, oh my god. That's amazing news."

"It is," he nods, "but I've never done it before, and I want to make sure it is perfect. That's what Taylor deserves. The absolute best."

"It is, " Patrick agrees, "but that's what you always give her. This time around isn't any different." Patrick pauses and a small chuckle escapes his lips, a smirk forming on his face. Travis can tell he's thinking something that's nothing short of absolutely cheeky.

"What is it?" the tight end asks the quarterback, rolling his eyes as he anticipates his best friend's response. He can already imagine what the next words out of Patrick's mouth are going to be.

"I just can't believe that you really bagged Taylor fucking Swift, and that you haven't managed to fumble the ball yet."

"Greatest catch of my life, baby," Travis remarks, pride in his smile as he breathes in the fresh evening air. Even he is still in denial that this is all real- that it's actually happening and he's got the privilege of letting Taylor love him. "So," Travis continues, "how do I give her the greatest proposal this world has ever seen? I can't fuck this up."

Patrick thinks for a moment. Of course, he doesn't know Taylor half as well as Travis does, but he does know that when he proposed to Brittany, he absolutely crushed it. She told him it was the most perfect moment of her whole entire life, as they embraced each other in his suite at Arrowhead Stadium, a new diamond sparkling on her left ring finger. "Think about what she likes," Patrick advises eventually. "Like, you know, I can't see Taylor wanting something super public, but she loves all that cheesy, romantic shit. Did you have anything particular in mind?"

Travis nods. 'I'm going to surprise her with a little trip after she closes the European leg of tour - take a few days off from practice and get away. I've got a little chalet rented for us in the Austrian Alps. She knows to keep the days free in her schedule, but nothing else. It's just be some cozy and intimate time for just the two of us, away from the stadiums and the crowds. I was thinking of doing it then." He takes another sip of his beer as he looks out and sees Brittany chasing her kids as they toddle through the yard. Both mom and babies are smiling and giggling, having so much fun. He wants that someday. He wants to be a father; he wants to make Taylor a mother. But more importantly, first, he wants to make her a wife.