boy on the football team

companion piece to 'i can do it with a broken heart'

-----

Hey Abs, I'm in Nashville for a few days. Would you want to come over for a glass of wine tonight?

Taylor hits send on the text, and a response comes through almost instantly.

When have I ever said no to a glass of wine?

Taylor can't help but laugh at her friend's response. But, there's something else that Taylor needs to disclose. Taking a deep breath, she starts to type.

I have a new boyfriend. He's here with me. Is that okay? I can totally make him disappear if you want me to.

Taylor looks over at Travis, who is sitting in the armchair next to the sofa that she's resting on, looking at his phone screen and grumbling over something. More likely than not, the daily Wordle. In the few weeks they've been together, she's learned quickly that that's generally the cause of his frustration. Ever competitive, Taylor has picked up the game herself, and smirks over at him.

"I got it in 3 guesses today."

"Fuck you," he tells her, looking up from his phone screen. "What was your starting word?"

"My lips are sealed," she winks, looking back at her phone to see a response from Abi.

Oh! I don't mind at all- I'm looking forward to meeting him. So... I guess the rumors I've been seeing about Travis Kelce are all nothing more than rumors, then?

Taylor stifles a laugh, typing up an answer.

Not exactly... see you at 7?

She looks up from her phone and back over at Travis, cross-legged in the leather seat as he hunches down and the fluorescent glow from his phone illuminates his skin. "Trav?" she says, getting his attention as he flicks his green eyes up at her. "My friend Abi is gong to come over for a drink this evening. That okay?"

"Of course," he nods. "Am I good to stay or should I make myself scarce?"

"No, we want you here," Taylor smiles at him. "You're going to love her. I've known her since I was in 9th grade. That's my favorite thing about her, really. She doesn't give a fuck about any details of my life." She pauses. "Knowing someone when they had braces will do that, I guess."

Travis laughs. "Oh, so she's got some good stories on you is what I'm hearing? I might have to talk to her..."

"You get a few glasses of wine into her and I can guarantee she'll be showing some good videos."

"Got it." He blinks. "Tay, was there an H in the word today or not?"

"No hints," she says, crossing her arms.

Travis stands up and walks over to his girlfriend, sitting down beside her on the sofa and pulling her into his lap. "Baby girrrrllll," he says, placing kisses down her neck and tracing his fingers up and down her ribcage. "I'll give you something special if you give me a hint."

"Keep it in your pants, Trav," she chuckles, wriggling out of his grasp. "You've just got to accept it. My score is going to be better than yours today."

"Your score is better than mine every day," he pouts, pursing his lips together. Her only response to that is to place a kiss on his cheek and stand up to walk away.

"I'm gonna start a peach cobbler. We got those gorgeous peaches in the grocery delivery yesterday and it'll pair really well with the Riesling that I've got in the wine cellar." As she's walking out of the room, Taylor stops at the window, pushing it open and letting the breeze of late summer sweep across the room. "Maybe some fresh air will put some new words into your mind."