-7- First Lesson

Irina- "The Evernight Goddess is nobler than the stars and more eternal than eternity. She is also the Lady of Crimson, the Mother of the Secrets, the Empress of Disaster and Horror, Mistress of Calm and Silence", was that correct?

Old Neil replied- Correct, as for the rest?

Irina went on- The creation myth, the reason why beyonder lose control and how to avoid it. The pathways that are currently in possession of the Evernight church, the differences between the different churches, the Blasphemy Slate... also, we must never change our pathway. Once we drink the potion from one of them, our fate is sealed. Switching would mean losing control. You emphasized this quite a lot.

Old Neil- Of course, normally you'd begin work as a member of the civilian stuff and then later become a member of the Nighthawks through great contribution if you so wished. Your situation is instead much more peculiar, you are already a beyonder after all. Now, going back to all the rest that we talked about?

Irina- I understand. The purpose that Chanis Gate has, together with the fact that I will start to monitor it starting next week. The Cathedral of Serenity, the headquarters of the Church of the Evernight Goddess, is located in the Winter County to the north of the kingdom. The underground is connected to the main church in Tingen through those tunnels. If someone comes asking to issue a mission to the "Security Company" we gladly accept the extra income if members are available and it does not hinder our already present missions. Is this all?

Old Neil- Yes, one last thing for today, the most important for you right now. For Beyonders, one's spiritual perception would be enhanced more or less. The smaller the number in the Sequence, the more enhanced their perception. Therefore, they would hear what others cannot hear, see what others cannot see, and encounter things others would not encounter. They are constantly met with mysterious enticement and illusionary bewitchment. Once they are overstimulated or have greedy desires, they will slowly go down the path of losing control. This is something that already happened to you, for some strange miracle you were able to survive, and you now retail perfect consciousness. But remember-

As he spoke, Old Neil looked straight at Irina.

His tone turned bleak as he said- The founder of the Nighthawks, Archbishop Chanis, once said, "We are guardians, but also a bunch of miserable wretches that are constantly fighting against dangers and madness".

'Here it is, the most iconic sentence. The one that, unless you live through it, you would never be able to fully understand it.'

The armory seemed to become chillier at those words yet the serious atmosphere was completely shattered by Irina's thoughts, unable to take it seriously.

'How could I ever even hope of taking this whole explanation seriously? I've read this story already, I know its end, what the characters will do and how they will act. This world-building is scary, maddening, and bloody. I know I'm now inside this hell and have to live through it, but if I don't laugh it out, how am I supposed to remain sane? This is just a tale for me, I'm just acting in this play for a while to see how things turn out. Who knows, maybe tomorrow I'll wake up in a hospital bed and find out this is just a fervent dream. Might as well have some fun while it lasts, right?'

Irina- With great power comes great responsibility, isn't it always like this?

Old Neil slowly nodded before continuing- About that sealed artifact, your pocket mirror with brush, normally, it should be contained within Chanis Gate. But after what it did to that poor Leonard, and what it didn't do to you in the past years, it was decided you would keep it.

Irina- Oh yes, Dunn informed me about it.

Old Neil- Oh, I see. That's unexpected. Anyway, you can also read the official documents for it, perhaps you might even be able to add some information to them. The research team for sealed artifacts has its hands quite full at the moment, and seeing that you didn't show any adverse reaction but, instead, it seemed to refrain you from losing control, their interest was quite peaked.