Chapter One

i. CAFÉ BOREDOM

JOSEPH Shin, Haneul's future brother in law, and Bae Nayoung, Haneul's best friend Nari's older sister, owned a small café located in the centre of town with a large cemented courtyard that held many other shops surrounding it in a U shape

The café was right in the middle of the U, almost like a pit stop for anyone who was shop hopping from one side to the other—so the happy shoppers could take a short break and buy a quick bite to eat or obtain a refreshing drink to hydrate themself before the continued on with their shopping journey.

It was a place that was often surrounded by students in the early morning or late night, and then throughout the day people of all ages trickled in for varying reasons. It was never busy enough to justify employing Haneul, but she had nothing better to do with her time before the school break was to end and she would then be forced to follow her next path in life—a path she had still yet to decide on.

Haneul sat at her favourite table, right against the window—a seat that was pushed into the far side of the cafe, out of sight and out of mind of all the other patrons. It kept her cool, but most of all—and the most important part she would claim—it gave her private space, a quiet space just for her.

Nayoung walked around wiping down tables and moving aside empty plastic cups, but she paid little to no attention to Haneul. Haneul had earphones shoved deep into her ears, her music quiet enough not for outsiders to hear, yet still quiet enough to drown out nearby noise. She looked like she was deep in thought, in no mood to be interrupted. And so Nayoung, having known her so long, decided not to push her luck and instead kept her distance.

Despite liking her own privacy during break time, it was a quiet day outside and there was nothing more boring, in Haneul's opinion, than standing behind the wooden counter wishing for a large crowd of people to enter to finally entertain her.

Hell, even a fight breaking out would make her day that much more interesting compared to her serving the same three old ladies flavoured ice tea all day long as they refused to leave, needing a place to gossip away from their frustrated husbands' ears.

Sure, the café became busy enough a fight were to break out she wouldn't be able to control it all on her own as she wasn't the strongest person around, but at least it would give her something else to do other than stand around all day long.

At that rate, anything was better than doing nothing. It made her consider getting a job elsewhere. But then again, she could barely handle waking up without feeling a sense of foreboding doom. Going to a job with people she didn't know would only add to her anxieties.

Haneul's eyes carefully scanned the courtyard outside the café where the cement benches sat before large cement flower planters, seemingly fake greenery placed inside to try to distract the wandering eye from the whole 'grey' aesthetic of the area.