Chapter Seven

vii. CONGRATULATIONS, NEW JOINER

HANEUL sat patiently in Nari's car with her hands folded on top of her her lap

HANEUL sat patiently in Nari's car with her hands folded on top of her her lap. She was nervous, to say the least. She leant her head back and closed her eyes, trying to focus on the feeling of the slithers of sun warming her skin. She had to remain calm, but she was going to be showing off her talent in front of God knows how many people—people who were being paid to judge her. Her fate for the next few months resided in their hands.

Sure, there were many trainees who wanted, probably begged, to get onto the show, but for her this was different. She wasn't doing this for her, she was doing it for Wonshik. He had been better in the last few days, finally getting up and going about his daily life. But he still apologised to Haneul every chance he got, which just made her heart ache a little bit each time.

But this whole plan was her idea, and her idea alone. She had to keep calm, and she had to have some faith in herself. She had to at least try to pretend that this was what she wanted, even though she secretly still hoped the interviewers would tell her she wasn't needed for the show. She hated the idea of stealing a spot from someone who deserved and wanted it, but at the same time, she lacked the skills to be a worth opponent she believed.

She agreed with Nari that it was utterly insane what she was doing, and that she could likely do so many other many things to try make her brother feel better, but when it came to Wonshik, Haneul had no self control or reasoning. Her life revolved around his happiness. It always had, and a part if her believe it always will.

And this had the method she had chosen. She had already cut off her hair and bought a whole new wardrobe, and now here she was at her audition. She had dug her own path, and now she couldn't divert from it.

Nari came back with a bottle of water, which she threw into Haneul's lap the second she opened the car door before she waved her hand dramatically. "Hurry up and get out, we don't have all day!" She sounded more nervous than Haneul felt, and it made a smile creep up onto her lips. She was happy her best friend was there to support her, even in her craziest of moments.

Haneul smiled and rolled her eyes. She got out of the car and popped the lid of the water bottle. She took one large gulp, then she closed it once again before she walked around the car towards the building she was in just about a week ago.

"So what did Wonshik say about your hair?" Nari asked the burning question, to which Haneul sighed dramatically loud and shook her head. She remembered the look of shock and confusion on his face, then he forced a smile to at least pretend it didn't make her look as weird as she felt.

"He didn't really say anything about it. He looked at me with this look, then he looked away. Joseph said it 'could look cute if styled right', though," Haneul replied, to which Nari let out a laugh.

"He basically said you look shitty with short hair then?" Nari knew what Joseph was like, and she could just imagine the look on his face when he came home to Haneul's lack of hair. She placed a hand over her mouth, trying to ease her giggles as the girls entered the building.