Chapter Five

v. LIGHTBULB

WONSHIK was a moping mess for around a week after the failed interview attempt, even though the error was against his control and had nothing to do with him

WONSHIK was a moping mess for around a week after the failed interview attempt, even though the error was against his control and had nothing to do with him. He blamed himself endlessly, cursed himself for it all. That was the kind of man he was, and Haneul was feeling done with it. She was exhausted with his behaviour. It was beyond his control, so why he was being such a diva about it was a waste of his effort and emotions.

Haneul should have been the one moping around, Joseph had said a few nights prior in an attempt to make his fiancé see the issue with his behaviour. Wonshik knew he was being beyond dramatic, but still, there he lay across the couch with a litre tub of mint ice cream on his stomach. His go-to method to cure his sadness.

Haneul hated to admit it, but Wonshik looked a mess, like he hadn't brushed his hair in days. Which was very much not like her fashionista brother at all. He only moved to eat, sleep and use the bathroom. And Haneul was getting sick of watching his behaviour. His presence in his at-then current mood was suffocating to be around.

Haneul made her way downstairs for the first time all day, refusing to be around her brother; so she spent most of her time in her bedroom or at Joseph's café. Joseph didn't blame her, rather, he agreed with her actions.

That morning, Haneul lazed in bed all morning, watching random TV shows when she had received a text from Joseph moments earlier, asking her to go check on her brother, just to make sure he hadn't made a mess of their living room.

As Haneul reached the bottom of the stairs, her eyes found her brother who was lying across the couch, a fleece blanket around his body to keep him warm while his hands were shoved into bags of chocolates and bags of savoury snacks. He was a mess.

"Get up," Haneul stated a little harsh as she made her way to the couch, her hand slapping Wonshik's calf softly as his legs were closest to her.

Wonshik made no effort to move, so Haneul moved and stood in front of the TV, blocking Wonshik's source of entertainment that was barely getting him through the day.

At this, Wonshik groaned in response and craned his neck around Haneul so he could continue to watch the TV; some reality show about idols learning to cook, or something. Nothing of notable relevance for Haneul to remember.

"Go away," Wonshik finally mumbled, turning the TV up louder as if that would make Haneul move.

This just angered Haneul even more.

But she decided to let it drop.

She needed to get out of that house, and she knew exactly where to go. The place where her platonic soulmate resided.

***

BAE Nari was surprised to find her best friend on the other side of the door. She held the golden door handle to her apartment front door tight, her eyes wide, looking Haneul up and down. "Haneul, what are you doing here?"