Chapter Nine

ix. FINAL REVEAL

THE sound of the zip broke the silence in the room, the sound making the anxiety in Haneul only increase by tenfold

THE sound of the zip broke the silence in the room, the sound making the anxiety in Haneul only increase by tenfold. She had expected she had come to terms with her decision, but the lingering fear still haunted her—begging her to quit her plan and go back to living her life of calm and peace.

As her mind began to wonder with thoughts, Haneul felt her palms began to sweat. Her temperature went up, and she felt the wig she wore to pretend her short hair from unsuspecting eyes get uncomfortably itchy where it sat on her scalp.

She raised a finger and gently rubbed the wig where it itched her skin. She was thankful that the next few hours would be the final time she would need to wear it—or so she hoped that was the case.

Once she revealed her plans to her brother and Joseph, she would be free of her lies. And the God forsaken wig.

She had to tell her brother the truth, now was her only chance to do this, she reminded herself. She knew that. But she was starting to regret her decision.

Haneul knew her brother would likely disagree with her choices and Joseph would back him up, but this was her best chance to do something with her life—to make her brother potentially proud of herself.

Even if it only lasted for a few weeks at max.

Even if he was going to be momentarily disappointed with her actions at first.

Haneul pulled the closed suitcase off of her bed and let it fall to the floor, wheels first, with a loud thump. She then wheeled it out of her room, and when she got to the stairs, she used her thigh to support the case as she manoeuvred it down the stairs to the first floor of the house.

She got to the living room and let the suitcase fall from the bottom step to the floor with another thump, this time the fall softer than the larger distance previously. Then she walked to the area of the living room where the sofas sat. The place she hoped to find her family awaiting her.

Wonshik had since given up on his depressive slump and began to do his normal day to day activities as of two and a half weeks ago, however, he still apologised to Haneul every chance he got. He still blamed himself, claimed he had ruined her dream and had to make it up to her one way or another. He was better than he was before, and it made Haneul question her decision. But she decided she should go ahead with it regardless.

It was too late, she had already been accepted to participate in the show and she had already been filmed a few times, it would be a waste of her previous efforts—and fresh haircut—to give up on her plans now.

Joseph finished tucking his pale blue shirt into the top of his grey trousers. He then looked up at Haneul as her steps intruded the room. He looked at the suitcase handle in her hand and raised an eyebrow in confusion. "Did we plan a trip we must have forgotten about?"