Chapter Four

iv. MISPRINTED

JOSEPH pulled the parking break up to secure the car before he turned the engine off, then he turned in his seat to face Haneul sat behind Wonshik, who was sat in the front passenger seat

JOSEPH pulled the parking break up to secure the car before he turned the engine off, then he turned in his seat to face Haneul sat behind Wonshik, who was sat in the front passenger seat. Naturally, as he should, he would claim.

"As partner to the driver, I get shotgun privileges," Wonshik would tease Haneul.

"Are you ready to do this, Little Yang?" Joseph asked, using an old nickname Haneul almost forgot existed. She hadn't heard the nickname in so long. Despite the familiarity, it didn't ease her nerves—ease her regret for not telling her brother she didn't want to do this.

Maybe she still had time? She hadn't climbed out of the car just yet. There was no commitment made yet, right?

But before she could say anything, Wonshik gave Joseph a quick peck on the lips, then he opened his door. He got out of the car, then he politely pulled Haneul's door open for her. He stepped aside, turning his back to the car, and Haneul. A part of her begged to run away far from the place they were at, but her legs refused to cooperate.

Traitors, she cursed herself.

Wonshik looked up at the tall building at the end of the car park—the building Haneul was about to enter and sign four of her months away doing something that consisted of a lot of hard work. She was going to sign to give her time up to do something she didn't want to do, but had no guts to reveal so.

Now she thought about it, it was selfish of her for not expressing her true feelings. It was a slim chance she would pass the auditions, she suspected. But if she did by a miracle, then she could be taking away a chance from someone else who actually wanted to do this with every fibre of their being.

But even that guilt wasn't enough to override her people pleasing ways.

Haneul sucked in a breath between gritted teeth, then forced a smile at Joseph before she carefully stepped out of the car. She closed the door behind her, then she turned her body to face the building just as Wonshik had.

Haneul had to tilt her head back to allow her eyes to fully appreciate the true height the building had to offer. She wondered how many floors there were, then she silently prayed that the building had an elevator. There was no way she could make it up so many floors.

But then again, the exhaustion of walking up so many flights of stairs may hinder her performance, and she would have even less chance of impressing the recruiters and she would be rejected, right?

Haneul noticed from her peripheral vision Wonshik shook his head, then he moved around the car. He walked past Joseph's side of the car, not risking walking in front of Haneul for whatever reason. He must have thought she was admiring the building. The reality was far from the fantasy he was conjuring in his mind.