Chapter Two

ii. ACHING MUSCLES

HANEUL let out a sound of discomfort, almost like a grunt, as she felt her limbs begin to burn

HANEUL let out a sound of discomfort, almost like a grunt, as she felt her limbs begin to burn. She tried to move her body along with the beat of the music, but it was just too fast for her to manage. It was only causing her more frustration—she had been trying so hard for weeks to perfect her form and her speed to create the best performance, but it was just no useshe would never be as good at dancing as her brother was, she let her dark thoughts consume her momentarily.

As a sudden rush of pain intruded her lungs, Haneul stopped her movements, her hand holding onto her side tightly where she felt as if she were, as she would imagine the feeling would be similar to, being stabbed with a blunt needle over and over. She gasped for breath, finding the thumping feeling of the music on the floor vibrating into her shoes oddly comforting—a welcome distraction from the pain.

Once she felt the stinging in her lungs subside, she made her way to the corner of the room where the radio sat. She turned the music down but kept it playing, then she moved to rest her back against the wall of mirrors. Haneul slid down the mirror she had leant against, crossing her legs while doing so until she found herself sat on the floor. Her chest was moving rapidly in an attempt to refill her lungs with much needed air, and she closed her eyes as she tried to focus on slowing her breathing down.

From the table which the radio was home on, the one beside Haneul, she reached up and grabbed her water bottle and took several large gulps of it. She felt the ice cold liquid soothe her throat, easing her airway from where she had just been gasping for breath.

While the sting of needing air was one she found uncomfortable, Haneul almost loved the feeling. Dancing was something she enjoyed. Sure enough, she only started it to make her brother happy as he loved dancing—and Haneul would do anything if it made Wonshik happy in return. But she had begun to dance for herself in recent months, and had found she had begun to fall in love with it for real.

It was the feeling of stretching her limbs in new ways, ways that jogging couldn't do. That was another thing she had tried to take up, just to keep her body fit. It lasted all of three weeks before she tossed the idea out the bag. Dancing, at least it was fun. At least she could listen to music while keeping herself fit. It was a win-win, no matter how she looked at it.

Dancing started as an obligation, but it had become a hobby for Haneul in the end; the only one she had taken on that her brother convinced her to join, that she actually came to like. Haneul started and ended many, many hobbies that Wonshik tried to convince her was 'right up her street'.

He just wanted her to find something she was passionate about—something to consume her time so she wouldn't feel—be—so alone. He was doing it with Haneul's best interests in mind, and so her response was always blindly 'yes' with the hopes it would help strengthen their already unbelievably strong and unbreakable bond.