Chapter Six

vi. HAIR CUTS

HANEUL sat on the chair at the hairdressers, her feet barely touching the floor as the chair was pushed up so her hair was closer to the taller man's hands—the one who was preparing to start Haneul's haircut

Her whole image was going to change, and it was going to be the most drastic one yet. But she found it might be worth it. If she could do something to ease her brother's bad mood, even if she was going to let him find out by seeing her face on the TV, then she would do it without a second thought.

Haneul smiled smugly at Nari through the mirror, the latter sat on the couch behind the former, with her eyes narrowed. Nari didn't look impressed, but she knew if Haneul wanted something, she got it.

Nari knew about Haneul's Wonshik-pleasing nature and she hated it, but every little pep talk she gave her always fell flat and Haneul would go back to her old ways within no time. It was like her brain was hardwired to focus on her brother's happiness above all else. It was sad to see, but Nari still adored her best friend regardless.

"Are you sure about this, darling? Your hair is so long and beautiful. Any woman would be begging for your hair," The hairdresser frowned, his hands running delicately through Haneul's soon-to-be-disposed-of hair.

Haneul nodded her head, then rolled her eyes as Nari spoke from her place across the room, not looking up from her phone once. "I told her that, but you know what she's like." She was likely writing some forum post about her best friend having a mental breakdown, but Haneul couldn't find it in herself to care.

Her best friend could write all she wanted in this silly little forums, nothing was going to change her mind.

Not this time.

Haneul's eyes flickered from her best friend to her hair stylist who looked grim, but he nodded his head in understanding of what he was going to have to do. He knew he had no chance to convince her otherwise. She would just go on to someone else and get her hair done by another stylist. At least he knew her, even a little, so it made him feel better that he was the one who was going to give her a drastic change.

Some people cried when they cut their hair off so largely, and he hoped Haneul would not be the same. He didn't want to have to comfort her when this was all her own doing, no matter how selfish that made him sound.

He picked up his scissors after sectioning her hair off, then brought the blades together. Haneul watched as chunks of her hair fell to the floor delicately, and she couldn't stop the smile from forming on her face. She wasn't sure what she was going to say or do to explain the situation of her new hair cut to her brother, but that was a worry for future Haneul.

She was one step closer to making her brother feel better, even though he wouldn't even know it. She wanted to tell him her plans, but she also knew how reckless it was. She had to just hope he would finally come across her on TV with understanding at her position. She knew he may be mad at her at first, but once again, it was worth it for him to finally get out of his slump and believe he had played a part in changing his sister's life for the better.