Chapter Three

iii. GET OUT OF IT

HANEUL, Wonshik and Joseph sat at their circular, grey-wood dining table

HANEUL, Wonshik and Joseph sat at their circular, grey-wood dining table. Wonshik and Joseph sat beside one another, while Haneul sat opposite her older brother.

They had their set places at the table, and never deviated from it. It started on day one when Haneul first moved in, and when Wonshik tried to sit in her seat a few days later, she was sure to remind him that it was now her place at the table, and he ought to sit at his own seat before she made this complicated for him.

Sure, a seat at a table was just... well, a seat. But something about having a space of her own, even at the dining table, made her feel like she belonged. Sure she had her own bedroom and she had her own space in Wonshik's dance studio, but eating together as a family at a dining table was a foreign concept for Haneul when she first moved in with Wonshik and Joseph.

It was just part of their schedule at that point, the seating plan—and Haneul loved it.

When she still lived with their parents, they never found time to sit down and eat together with her as a family. They never even helped Haneul make food, even on the days she was sick and barley had the strength to stand, bare in mind conjure up a meal.

She was always expected to fend for herself, which ended in her eating a vast amount of ready meals, or noodle packs. Since living with her brother and Jospeh, she never missed a single meal with them—no matter what. She was always there. Sure, sometimes she was late, but she would always find time for them.

Joseph had prepared varying pasta dishes for their dinner that night, almost like a buffet. He was always great at cooking for them, but he never usually went all out like he did that night save for special occasions like birthdays or anniversaries, or any other big milestones reached in life.

The only other times Joseph went extreme with his cooking was either due to good news they had to share, or due to some stress he was holding in. Haneul was worried, regardless of which would be the correct answer.

Haneul chose to have a bowl of just lasagne, not wanting to eat too much pasta or else she risked feeling bloated and she would find it hard to sleep with how full she felt. Pasta always caused her to bloat uncomfortably, despite it being part of her favourite foods.

Most of the meal was spent in silence. Everyone seemed to be too focused on enjoying their meals. Joseph made sure to pour Haneul some more water when she finished her glass, but save for the small action, they all still remained in silence. It was awkward, to say the least. Haneul wanted to speak up, but a part of her felt on edge and told her to await whatever good or bad news her brother had to share with her.

She hoped it had nothing to do with her parents. She had sworn when she got on that plane to Korea that she would never see them again, and so far in five years, she had managed to keep that promise to herself.