Chapter 27 - Two Hidden Secrets

"Henrik told me to give these to you," Elena's brother Jeremy dumps a bag full of books at my feet.

He leaves before I can ask him much else and I stare at the books sadly. I know Henrik wants me to learn but I can't.

I take them out of the bag and cry quietly.

"I can't Henrik, I don't know how to read these easy ones either," I speak as though he's in the room with me which I'm certain he is.

I'm sure he wants me to learn and read these first but I can't.

I glance over the first book, Floppy's Fun Phonics, but the squiggles means nothing to me as I don't know what it says.

The ABCs book looks boring because the pictures are all for little children and I'm not little.

So I put them in the corner, hiding them from my sight. I try not to think about how disappointed Henrik is watching me.

After a while I'm bored because my siblings are all discussing splitting up and leaving town. Apparently it's easier to separate but 'Lijah insists on us all staying together since I'm the easiest target to take out the whole family. Everyone agrees to stay for me.

I pull out one of the books that Henrik gave me, making up the story from the pictures like I normally do. I read to Teddy and Pinky.

"The boy took his dog on a walk and they went for a swim," my fingers trace the wrong words as I fabricate the story.

Bekah hears me softly talking upstairs so she peaks her head around the door. She comes in and sits next to me quietly and I stop speaking aloud. She will know I'm not reading the words if I carry on.

Bekah encourages me to continue by pointing at the word on the top of the page.

"Keep going, it sounds like a good story," she says warmly with a smile. I know that smile will disappear if she knows I can't read or write.

Dread fills me and I remain silent refusing to expose my biggest secret.

Bekah traces her finger along the first line and I take a good look at the picture. Maybe I can give it a go and guess. It looks obvious to me.

"They swam in the river and had fun and played and then had lunch," I make up the words.

Bekah blinks and her brows furrow in confusion. "Very funny, come on. Do it properly and start again."

"Not again," I refuse frustratedly. How dare she tell me to do it properly. I'm really really trying but she doesn't even know.

"No, come on now Hedi what does it really say?"

I look solemnly at her refusing to say another word.

"What does the next bit say Hedda?" Bekah starts to get impatient and I try not to cry at her tone.

Her eyes widen in understanding as the silence stretches on and she suddenly stops asking me to try.

"Do you want me to read it to you?" She offers and I nod quickly. That's better than her finding out I don't know what it says.

"James throws Felix a ball..." Bekah reads and continues on until she finishes the book. Luckily she doesn't mention my rubbish reading or ask me to read again.

Once she's finished a few books with me I complain I'm hungry and she goes downstairs to get a blood bag. She comes back swiftly before saying she has to talk to 'Lijah. I follow her because I have nothing else to do.