Chapter 30 - Channelling Hedda

"I want to see Katerina and Edey and Stella," I demand stamping my foot to make sure I'm listened to. It's the only way I can control the scary things in my life.

"Ask me nicely please," 'Lijah ignores my request.

"I did."

"No you didn't, you have to say please Hedda."

"Please Hedda," I repeat just to annoy him.

"Properly young lady," he asks me again sternly.

"I said please yesterday," I whine refusing to give in.

'Lijah looks at me like I've grown two heads. He's unimpressed.

"Ask me politely and I'll call Katerina," he offers me a nice solution. "I've arranged for Edey and Stella to come round later for you already."

I scowl at him when he asks me to say please for the second time, but I cheer up quickly when I find out he's already made plans for me to see my best friends.

What a great big brother.

"Please can I see Katerina before they come? Thank you very much," I skip away happily, hearing 'Lijah chuckle and ring her up.

I allow him time alone on the phone with her so they can love each other more. I want her to stay over and cuddle with him but I don't think that has happened yet.

On the bright side, Caroline has cuddled with Nik.

I heard her screaming so I ran in one night but Bekah took me away very quickly. She told me they were playing a game that only adults can play. I pouted and told her it wasn't fair because I'll never be an adult but she didn't let me see what game she meant.

Katerina comes over quite quickly and I'm instantly nervous because she hasn't seen me since I became a little wolf.

"Do you still want to play with me even now I'm a stupid wolf?" I ask shyly, hiding behind 'Lijah's legs.

"Hedda what have I said about calling yourself stupid?" 'Lijah immediately stops me putting myself down.

"You don't want me to, even if it's true," I mutter.

He sighs in exasperation. "It isn't true Hedda. You're learning very well, you're a smart girl."

I cross my arms and scowl in disbelief.

"Once I can read and write then I'll be clever but not before."

Katerina's eyes widen ever so slightly as I reveal the truth. She's taught me how to write ᚺᛖᛞᛞᚨ but she didn't know I couldn't write it in English.

"I'll play with you no matter what Little One," she says and 'Lijah is relieved at the end of our slight disagreement over whether or not I'm stupid.

He's wrong and I'm right.

I take Katerina's hand and pull her upstairs to my room where we play with Teddy and Pinky, setting up a little tea party for them.

I tell her all about how I tricked my brothers into believing I can see ghosts and she finds it hilarious. She promises not to tell on me, especially not to admit she was the one who taught me how to write my proper name not Tatia.

The hours fly by and to my excitement, Katerina is spending time with 'Lijah, and Edey and Stella have turned up.

I whisk them off to my room before 'Lijah can notice the big bag Edey has brought, containing mother's grimoire.

They meet my puppy Henry and they love him.

He loves them too. We all snuggle together for a bit.

After I open up about father, my best friends give me a big hug so I feel much better. Edey suggests trying a protection spell from the grimoire so I lock my door and we sit in a circle, working out how to do it. Thankfully I now have a new lock so we have the privacy.