Chapter 39 - Child in Transition

Which child will turn? 😱
Let me know your predictions! ➡️

And before you ask NO. Stella is petting Henry not Hedda as a wolf😭

———

"Hedda I want you to talk back to us," Stella complains because I can't respond as a wolf.

"Hedda please," Edey whinges, on Stella's side too.

Their pleading is strategic, I know it is. I haven't shifted in over a month so 'Lijah arranged a play date for us because he's hoping my best friends will convince me to shift back. God knows my family haven't been able to.

I'm ashamed to say it's working. I told myself I wouldn't ever give in but Stella and Edey's begging makes me reconsider. They're very upset.

Slowly I shift back and Bekah helps me into some clothes. She tries to put my glasses on me too but I shake my head and refuse. That is, until Stella says they're cool.

"Wow Hedda, your glasses are pink and awesome!"

I smile in her direction and finally accept I have to put them on while my friends are here. I'll shift back to a wolf when they leave.

"You look like a beautiful pink Princess now," Edey encourages me, wanting me to be happy.

I smile at them both, able to see them properly. I can hear them too with my hearing aids, or new ears as I like to call them. But those I like, I never fight over wearing them like I do with my googly glasses.

"Hedda I'm very sorry," Edey says for the millionth time now. "I didn't mean to send you away."

"It's okay, mother tricked you," I accept her apology because she has no reason to say sorry.

"I made a friend and I think you'll like her. I even got to try magic myself but I kept setting their house on fire by accident. I didn't mean to."

Edey laughs and Stella can't stop giggling when I tell them about using Mary-Lou's magic to start fires that spread rapidly.

I ask Bekah if we can use her phone and I video call Sarah-Jane. Mommy picks up immediately.

"Hello there," she smiles when she sees me. "You must be Hedda."

"Yes Mommy," I reveal, still calling her the only name I ever did. "Can my friends meet Sarah-Jane? She promised we could still be friends after I got back home."

Mommy agrees quickly, calling out for Sarah-Jane and Mary-Lou.

"What are your two friends called?" Mommy asks me looking at by two best friends on either side of me.

"This is Edey. She's Davina's cousin you know," I point and she waves. "And this is Stella."

Mommy freezes when I introduce Stella.

"Hedda sweetheart, what's the name of your second friend?" She wants me to clarify so I do.

"Stella," I repeat and Stella says hi over the call.

Immediately she demands for me to hand the phone to Finn, the only family member she knows personally. I try to say no but when she makes clear it's serious, I comply and hand the phone over to him.

He takes it outside where we can't hear and promises to let me talk to Sarah-Jane once he's done.

I get paranoid and decide it's best to give Stella some blood just as a precaution. Disagreeing Edey gets mad about it, but Stella is nervous when she learns that Sarah-Jane is predicting lots of things, especially people getting hurt.