Chapter 52 - Sleeping Beauties

Moving back to New Orleans makes me so happy. We're living on the outskirts, away from Marcel because apparently he's fighting with my brothers again.

Daddy, Hope and I have moved in ahead of everyone else, while Hayley wakes up Freya to heal the rest of the family and also Cami.

"Will Nik and Cami get married?" I twirl around the kitchen, practicing for my ballet classes in every waking second.

"Whoops sorry Hopey," I apologise because I kick her in the arm, my leg extending out gracefully.

"That was on purpose Heds," she pushes me away although it's gentle and playful.

"If you did ballet you would know it's not," I argue back, defending myself. "You walked into my leg."

"Hedda don't kick Hope," Daddy barely looks up as he makes us breakfast, eggs and bacon.

"I wasn't," I protest even though I did. "Daddy, is Nik going to marry Cami?"

"Who's Cami?" Hope asks for the millionth time.

"Ugh Hopey I already told you," I roll my eyes. "She's your Daddy's girlfriend and she is so beautiful."

"I just want to know," she says downcast which makes me feel bad.

"You are a good learner Hopey. Your Mommy loves Elijah and your Daddy loves Cami," I explain more patiently now making her smile. "Kol loves Davina but I don't know where she is now and Rebekah loves Marcel. Finn is lonely like Daddy."

Daddy shoots me a disgruntled look.

"I remember now," Hope hugs me. "I'm scared Heds."

"We all love you a lot, your daddy kissed you all the time when you were a baby and he even cried when you had to be sent away. And he never ever cries."

It seems my words help her feel a lot better and Daddy smiles, listening to our sweet chattering.

"If you don't know what to do, paint with him. It's his favourite too," I inform Hope so she knows he likes to paint, just like her.

Daddy sets our breakfasts in front of us and we dig in hungrily.

"Thank you," Hope accepts the plate gratefully from her grandfather.

"Now Daddy, will Nikky marry Cami?" I repeat again because he hasn't answered my question.

"I don't know," he says vaguely. "Eat up, they'll be here soon."

Hopey and I only manage to eat half of our portions, both of us too excited and nervous for food. Normally Daddy wouldn't be pleased but he lets us off today because it's a special day.

Our family are coming home.

We wait anxiously by the window together, holding each other's hand. Neither Hope nor I say anything else for hours, even when Daddy tries to give us some lunch. We look at each other and shake our heads, refusing to move for anything but our family's return.

And then they arrive.

Forgetting all about Hopey, I run outside while they climb out of their cars.

I see Nikky and 'Lijah and Bekah and Koly and Finny and Freya and Cami.

Everyone's safe.

I squeal in excitement and run to my Koly first. I jump into his embrace and he spins us around holding on so tightly. It's the best feeling in the world. I love him with everything in me.

"My Heddy-bear, you've grown so much," he notes with watery eyes as he takes in my new grown up body.

"I missed you, I missed you, I missed you all," I cling onto him and weep in joy.