Chapter 18 - "Eomma?"

The door of my home closes behind me with a click, confirming it has locked itself. I let out a small sigh while the smile hadn't left my face yet.

I pull the rock that is my backpack off my shoulder, relieved of its riddance. Only then did I notice the presence of another person in the house.

"Hey Hyunjinnie!" My mother sweet voice echoes through the normally empty common area and the cozy house that's usually filled with silence. The mid 40s women had her hair nicely parted and her clothes were neat. Different from the last time I saw her.

She was in fact sober.

I lift an eyebrow and turn myself to face her, "Eomma? Youre home?"

As if the day could get any more eventful. Standing infront of me was my mother, the lady who doesn't even live in this district. Plus she was just here a week back? My head tilts in confusion.

"Yup! Thought I'd stay home for the weekend! My boss was nice enough to give me a mini vacation." The happiness in her voice was clear, she doesn't waste anytime to reach her arms out and engulf me in a tight hug.

I laugh into her shoulder, "Glad your home eomma." I say while wrapping my arms around her.

It was nice to feel her embrace again. She was so busy with work all the time, especially since she started her new job. Anytime she'd come home she would be wasted, drinking her stress away.

Would this time be different? Maybe we could actually spent the weekend together, like how it was when we were younger.

The two of us pull away after a few seconds and take a seat on the couch in the living room. The sun was beginning to set as the golden light from the windows filled the room.

"Hows school been honey?" My mother asks, excited to hear about the parts of her sons life she had been missing, after all this were his prime years. A part of her was sinking in guilt at the thought of not being there during them.

I let out a shaky breath as the memories of school flood my brain. Memories of the specific person I see at school. "It's been uh good. Great really."

My mother squints in my direction, "Are you wearing eye makeup?" She asks curiously.

Suddenly my posture straightens. Shit she must've seen my effort to cover the black eye. I clear my throat, "Ywah uhm. I'm just trying out a new look."

My mother nods, "I see. You look good in any look honey." She lets out a small laugh, the sweetness echoing through the room.

"All because of my beautiful mom." I pout my lips cutely, earning myself a disgusting look from my mother. The two of us burst into laughter at my attempt at aegyo.

"Still a charmer huh Jinnie?"

"Always have been eomma." I giggle. It's not like it's been years since we last saw eachother. My mom would come to visit as much as she could, but she would always try to connect the pieces she's missed. Trying to make connections from the Hyunjins she remembers.

Maybe this was my chance to tell her? About Seungmin?

Our kiss maybe?

Or my crush on him?

But my heart leans towards something else. Something that's been circling my mind for years. A question that would pain my heart everytime I looked at that toy dinosaur in my room.