24. farewell (the second time)

twenty-four

twenty-four . farewell (2)

[ narrative ]
FEBRUARY 18TH, 2024
The Second Goodbye
lauren's pov

✮ ⋆ ˚。𖦹 ⋆。°✩

I SIGH AS we pull into the airport parking lot. Summer and Kate were heading home today. Brady gives me a pitiful smile.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart. I know you wish you had more time with them," he says softly.

I give him the realest smile I can muster as we head into the airport hand in hand. I was dumb and spent my time with Brady while they were here instead of them.

Don't get me wrong, I love hanging out with Brady, but my time with Kate and Summer was limited. I should've taken advantage of the fact that they were here when I could.

When we reach their gate, I immediately hug them as tight as I can.

"Awh, Laur. We'll visit as soon as we can, okay?" Kate comforts, and I nod.

"I know you will, but it's still sad to watch you leave..." I mumble and she nods understandingly.

"We can FaceTime tomorrow, alright?" Summer bargains, and I laugh.

"As if you'll have time, you'll be too busy FaceTiming Walker," I joke, and she rolls her eyes as she smiles.

"I can always make time for you, Lauren." She replies, pulling me into a hug.

I feel stupid as tears crowd my eyes at the thought of my friends leaving, Kate's face softens again.

"Lauren, it's okay. You still have Brady to hang out with, and Walker's here!" Kate says with a happy tone, and I turn to look at Walker, who's eyes are locked on Summer.

One second he's across the room, and the next he's wrapped around Summer.

"I'm gonna miss you like hell, Sunshine..." Walker mumbles.

"Me too, Walkie. I—" she stumbles over her words, her voice wobbling. "I don't wanna wait two months to see you again."

"I don't either, Sunshine. We'll figure something out," he comforts, even though I know he's stressed about the same thing.

They may be constantly attached at the hip, but it's because they never get to actually see each other in person. It may seem dramatic to anyone else, but long distance isn't easy.