Chapter 1 | A Stranger Witnesses Betrayal

Ahead of Calamity stood a frail boy

His legs, thin enough for her hand to fully wrap around, trembled under her confused gaze. His shorts hung from his frame, a shirt with an unfamiliar superhero on it tucked under his shorts.

He had a messy mop of dirty blonde hair atop his head- which was unkept stylized.

The boy had a white mask- one that reminded her of the times during the Covid Pandemic.

Under the boy's right arm was a bouquet of lavender Heathers and marigolds. They were beautifully strewn together with dexterous hands- ones that may have trembled but made up for with compassion and loyalty. Every leaf and stem had been cut to perfection.

In his left hand was a see-through container with food. The fried chicken was as recognizable as the sun- her stomach churning with hunger.

"P-Please don't eat me-" The boy stuttered. His brows were raised, eyes widened as if he had witnessed a resurrection. The fear on this boy's face was almost comical.

Calamity scoffed as she hunched over herself- her legs growing numb from being crossed. "Why would I-" She cleared her unused throat, "- eat you?"

Her tears still slid down her cheeks- but they began to dry as she distracted herself with this unexplainable interaction.

He opened and closed his mouth like a fish underwater.

"You- uhm-" He took a moment to look around before asking, "A-Are you, like, trying to... trick me?"

She was only getting more confused. "Look, kid-" She waved her cuffed hands behind her back, "Just tell me why-" She coughed, "... Why I'm here."

Coughing more, she'd add, "And why are you wearing-" She sucked in a breath, "A mask?"

The skinny teenager started to inch toward her. The closer he got, the easier she could count the acne riddling his face- like an imperfect satellite imagery of mountains.

He poked her shoulder with the flowers before jumping back in anticipation.

"Can you stop fucking with me?" She croaked with a groan, "I'm chained and emotional as shit, dude." She sniffled.

Calamity tried wiping her nose on her shirt but to no avail- her neck whining with ache and protest. "I'm going-" She coughed, "- going through a lot right now."

He slowly nodded and put the flowers down on the grave- avoiding being near her as much as possible. With frail and trembling fear... he slid the container toward her with the tip of his finger. 
The teenager crawled backward until he was behind the grave. He eyed her with suspicion and worry. His emerald eyes spoke a story she couldn't read- as if telling it in a different language. She curled her up in frustration. 

"I'm not a dog!" She claimed and leaned toward him, "Why are you being so... weird?"

He winced, "I'm not weird!" The boy defended himself, "You are!"

"I'm weird?" Calamity swooped her head down with a rose brow, "Yeah, as if-" She coughed, "- as if I'm the one feeding food to a chained lady in a cemetery."

Their argument only escalated, "My mom told me to!" He yelled and stood up from behind the grave.

"Well, your mom is a fucking weirdo!" Calamity matched his volume, "Did she tie me up here?!"

He pursed his lips and shrank into himself, "I- Well... no... it's just-"

Silence mocked the arguing pair. The breeze made the teenager shiver, but she was more acclimated to the teasing cold. Her heterochromatic eyes stared at him in wait.

"You... you're acting normal?" He shifted his stance and fidgeted with the hem of his shorts, "But you smell... really bad."

"Oh, fuck off." Calamity rolled her eyes, "Because a lady chained in the woods is going to smell like the moon goddess." She waved her head side to side with her hands flailing behind her.

The blonde pursed his lips before ducking behind the tombstone and untying a piece of metal from behind it.

"Can you please help me out?" Calamity asked, clearing her groggy throat as she leaned toward him to see what he was doing. The woman was desperate to get out of her current situation.

He started to approach her, "You really... You won't e-eat me?"

Calamity gritted her teeth but reined in her urge to holler, "I won't." The mohawked brunette promised sincerely.

The skinny teenager waddled behind her and started to unlock the cuffs restraining her. As each fell off- her skin and bones ached with delight as she stretched her abused limbs above her head.

Groaning with delight- her aching arms cracked as she stretched them. "Oh, thank goddess..." She whispered.

The teenager pushed the key into the lock attached to the grave and released her of her chains.

The collar, much to her misfortunate, was still wrapped around her neck, with her chain dangling uncomfortably. Her calloused fingers traced it blindly- not a single bump telling her it could be unlocked.

"I, uhm, don't know about the... collar." The boy explained nervously.

Calamity stumbled to her feet, hunched over in immobile exhaustion before her eyes darkened when cast upon him.

"So, who are you?" She'd demand as her eyes flickered between the food and him, "Why'd you bring food? How do you know me? And AGAIN- why the mask?"

The blonde sank into himself, "I- Uh-" He blubbered, "I'm... Noah Lycoris! I'm 15!" She'd fidget and advert his eyes from her searing ones, "I... I don't know much- I'm not that educated on werewolves yet..."

"And- uh- The mask is for..." His eyes drifted toward a purple patch of flowers.

Nearly Calamity's so-called Grave was wild Wolvesbane- standing tall and proud. A few looked like they were bitten and destroyed, but their effects on wolves were undeterred.

Every wolf knew wolvesbane could kill their wolf. In smaller doses- it's more of a weird high that makes the wolf go to sleep.

She rested her hands on her hips, "Okay..." She cleared her groggy throat, "And... What does this have to do with werewolves?"

Noah sucked in a breath and played with his shirt. "... Uh-"

Silence hushed them- the shivering of the trees being the only sound to fill the void. 

"... My... My brother would know...?"

?"