Chapter 5 | Confusion is Reciprocated

It wasn't Calamity's proudest moment

She breathed in and out quickly- her heart slowly amping down from the immense adrenaline. Her entire body ached miserably, with bruised wounds and new welts around her wrists.

In a dire moment of improvisation- a black leather belt was tightly wrapped around her forearms.

Calamity felt uncomfortable and familiar with being tied up. Although brief and confusing, her memories were filled with moments of blind rage and hunger while attached to her gravestone.

Her throbbing back was leaning against a shabby, beaten-down shed. Its rotten wood was proof of being long forgotten—termites had a brilliant feast in its unreliable foundations. Vines hung from its caved-in roof.

She felt her mind swirl into a deeper and deeper depression. She's missed 20 years of her life, Gleyma won't respond, and she reeks so much it's making people hunt her down.

A hulking figure crouches in front of her. His white hair is shaven down to a crew cut—perfectly lined hair leading down to a thin stubble lined up along his jaw. The man's skin, a warm beige, warmly glowed under the moonlight.

Scars lined his body- a prominent one on the bridge of his nose and another on his upper lip. His chocolate eyes narrowed as he scrutinized her.

The man wore only black sweatpants, and the bands of his Kelvin boxers showed around his muscular waist.

"Greyson Dieu." He rumbled and reached down to tighten the leather belt around her forearms, "Heir of the Beta's."

Once again, she noticed portions of his nails were cracked and bruises under the keratin. Scarred and healing cuts outed him from his obvious profession or hobby of labor.

She blew strands of her mohawk out of her face.

Calamity scoffed, "How humbling." She rolled her eyes, "Wasn't the Beta and Alpha unmated, anyway?"

Lucifer Dieu took the position of Beta a few years ago. He was completely unmated, an uncommon practice to take power alone, but he took the position shortly after Cronus- the first unmated Alpha in 50 years- took his position.

Normally, heirs take the position after they meet their mate. The mated duos will do their duties together- making it difficult if they are alone.

Greyson pursed his lips before shaking his head, "You're going to be a problem, aren't you?"

Her mouth dropped at the gall of this man.

"I'm a problem?!" She flailed her hands dramatically, "You pinned my ass down, tied me up, and hurt my wrists!"

He grabbed her wrist with his large hand and studied them curtly, "They're fine." He finalized.

Calamity's wrists had red prints, making them ache and groan with pain. She's been dealing with constant pain at every moment, her scars constantly reminding her of their existence, but her pain tolerance hasn't improved much.