Chapter 17 | Not Impressive

The aggravated men stormed into the room like SWAT

Lucifer's muscles were bulging out of his tight black blouse. His eyes, swirling with raging protection, landed on the short woman standing before the bed.

Her fluffy white coat was hung on a hanger beside the bed. The black blazer dress hugged her chubby figure, heels left on a small shoe rack.

She gazed at the door with absolute shock- frozen in her action of folding pieces of brand-new clothes. 

"Lucifer...?" She muttered- slowly setting the shirt she was holding down.

The Beta quickly approached, grabbing her arms and tugging her against his chest. He flared his nostrils and trailed his hands up and down her body- desperately searching for any cuts, bruises, or the faintest of scratches.

She accepted his embrace, melting in the man's warmth, but the confusion was still evident. "Lucifer-" She gazed up at him but noticed... "Wait-... Vulcan?! Why are you out?"

The Doctor stood in the doorway- awkwardly staying away. A dangerous scent waterfalled off Vulcan's body- invading his nostrils and alarming his werebear. Despite not being a part of his pack, his werebear was apprehensive.

Vulcan's voice was heavier with a gravely undertone. "Why did you bring a Rogue in here?" he demanded, staring down at her with a heavy eye.

Despite his overwhelming scent, River was not deterred. "She is not a rogue," the woman argued. "I won't tolerate you or Greyson insulting this poor woman."

The large man's muscles tensed- his hold on the woman stronger than a magnetic pull. While his gaze was challenging... it was noticeably softer when it was on her. He clenched his jaw tightly, "She's..." He didn't have much of an argument.

Vulcan struggled, not wanting to argue with his wife. Rank didn't matter in the face of a werewolf's mate- any decision against their mate's ideas were a struggle.

Ultimately defeated- his wolf retreated into the back of his mind.

Lucifer's chocolate eyes returned, "River-" He began immediately.

"I'm worried she might've been kidnapped and recently escaped." River interrupted him, "So, I'm going to call the cops."

The doctor perked up. "No, no—you don't need to call them." He told her, "A lot of this is a misunderstanding." The platinum-haired man stepped forward.

Lucifer whipped back to snarl at him- baring his canines fiercely.

Her brows raised in shock, and her lips parted slightly. "Wh- You're here!?" she shockingly breathed. " You've gotten so big! Oh my goodness, how the time has passed." The woman tried to untangle herself from her husband's grasp, but it was ineffective.