Chapter 14 | Not So Flawless

Her knees went weak at the sight of a beautiful, comfortable, private suite

The hallway entrance was long enough to give ample privacy- hiding her view of the bed. She gazed in awe at the small seating area- comfortable and separate from the bed. A table with two seats sat by the large windows.

Some of the walls had grapevines growing naturally on them—thriving with their self-sustaining water and sunlight bulbs.

Peering off to the side, she noticed an open bathroom door with black marble floors with specks of white.

"Perfect!" River exclaimed, "Plenty of space for you to relax."

Calamity intertwined her fingers in her hoodie pocket, "Well, my own damn room." She hummed, "A private one."

The hospital gave her a bed, food, and a bathroom... but no privacy. The wall of glass and hazmat suits weren't her thing. Was she selfish for wanting to escape that environment, spreadable virus or not?

"Now... off with the stolen hoodie!" She gestured in a silly manner.

Her eyebrows rose- taking a small step backward at the mention of stolen. "... Stolen?" She cleared her throat, "Why would it be stolen?"

River threw her an exaggerated look, "Dear... the tag is still on it."

Calamity threw her hand back, blindly grabbing behind her shoulder until she found the paper still connected to it. She pursed her lips and adverted her eyes in shame. Shit.

"I didn't see anything." River threw her hands up, "A missing hoodie from a store doesn't end the world."

She lowered her tensed shoulders with relief, yanking off the tag.

Calamity gripped the hem of the hoodie and pulled it off her head- her hospital shirt slightly lifting. River frowned at the scars on her stomach before her eyes trailed upward.

The room was cold, itching the raising goosebumps along her arms, but that would only make it cozier under the sheets.

Politely taking her hoodie- the platinum-haired woman's brows curved upward as she stared at her neck.

"What's this...?" She whispered- her fingers delicately feathering across the metallic surface of Calamity's collar. It was tight, much easier to ignore without its chain, and suspicious without a hoodie to hide it.

Pursing her lips- the humiliated woman slouched her back and mentally withdrew herself.

Silence awkwardly hovered between them, massaging their dry throats with its cold talons. The discomfort made Calamity swallow; her voice lost in transmission.

The concern on the rich woman's face was palpable. Her raspberry lips pursed in brief thought.

Clearing her throat, the impending figure of silence quickly fled.