Chapter 16 | A Possessive Man

The Beta male and doctor ambled into the luxurious hotel

Marble shone across the floors- the gentle smell of apple blossom cleaning product filling their nostrils. 

"Gųą łe..." Nemesis cooed in the back of his mind. He rarely spoke up.
[Apple Blossom...] 

Tilting his head up, the doctor hummed as he flared his nostrils, "Pleasent cleaning product."

Lucifer raised a brow, "I don't smell any cleaning product."

The platinum-haired man furrowed his brows- opening and closing his mouth. Turning to gaze at Lucifer, he-

"Her logs indicate she's 9 miles away from the hospital." The beta explained. He held onto a black iPad Pro M7, which showed a GPS with a long bright blue trail leading to the hotel they were currently in. "Approaching 10 miles."

Fortunately, it didn't take long for Traven Steele to respond. He gave them the green light to activate her collar GPS and track it live remotely. Traven is in California on a business trip but is returning early.

Recovering, the doctor nodded, "It's unrealistic to think she got a taxi... but even more unrealistic to travel a long distance in such a short time."

The duo walked across the lobby toward the Reception desk, "I agree." Lucifer hummed, "She's been gone for around 2 hours- she'd have to be running the entire time." He theorized, "Considering her current health... it's not plausible."

As the chattering pair approached the table- a male receptionist stood stiffly but professionally.

His nerves could be smelt in gentle waves. Considering the authoritative males approaching him, it wasn't anything to dote on.

"Mr. Dieu," The man nodded respectfully, "It's an honour. What may I do for you?"

Lucifer hummed, "Have you smelt any strange she-wolves coming into the building?" He asked him, "One with a mohawk- she might be wearing medical blue clothing."

The doctor nodded and rode off his question, "She also has a black eye."

He perked, "Oh! Yeah, pretty memorable appearance." The receptionist sat in his chair and typed on his computer, "She came in with Mrs. Dieu and got a hotel room on the house."

There was silence as the men took in his words.

"... River?" Lucifer leaned his hands on the counter, "I- What? My River...? Why the fuck was she here?"

Of course, the Beta wasn't the only one confused. The doctor furrowed his brows, running his fingers through his free white hair. 

The mention of River was strange- considering she had nothing to do with this.

Cowering from the tan man's mounting outrage... he'd swallow thickly and nod, "I'm not sure, sir..." He'd purse his lips, "Considering she's your wife- we gave her a suite for free. I apologize if-"

Lucifer waved a hand, "No, No- that's not the problem."

The doctor furrowed his brows and turned toward Lucifer, "Do you OWN this hotel, Lucifer?"

The beta nodded, "But that's not important," He shifted back onto topic, "My WIFE is with a rogue! Shit-" He ran his fingers through his hair as his anxiety mounted, "Which room are they in?"

Going stiffer from the anxiety riding off his scent, their advanced hearing picking up on his pounding heart, the man behind the desk cleared his throat. "602, sir."

"Great." Lucifer immediately charged toward the elevators- his memory proving useful.

The doctor followed by hurriedly- his long white hair fluttering in the wind of their strut, "Lucifer." He snapped, "Don't overreact- we're trying to bring her back, not start a fight."

Within just a few moments, the duo were standing in the elevator.

It smelt heavily of apple blossoms—stronger than ever. It made his mind cloudy, like a fog was cast over it, and his bear stirred and muttered incomprehensibly. 

Jabbing the level 6 button- he didn't catch the man's eye as he stared straight ahead. "This is my wife we're talking about."

The beta flashed him a dangerous look, his chocolate eyes swarming with yellow. His wolf was diligently watching, moulding to take control when he deemed it necessary.

"I'm always overreactive when it comes to my wife." He snarled- his canines growing longer.

As he looked away- the doctor swallowed. 

The last thing they needed was an overreactive Beta, but telling a werewolf not to overreact about their mate was downright offensive. Werewolves take their soulmates extremely seriously- they'd trade their lives for it.

He held back his voice- resisting any further complications. He was an unmated werebear, so he didn't fully understand the mate pull.

"Ut'otent'i..." He muttered lowly.

A phone began ringing. Glancing over, he noticed Lucifer was tapping his foot while holding a vibrating phone in his palm. The words "My Goddess" with a heart emoji were across the screen.

After a short minute- it went straight to voice mail. "Fuck..." Lucifer whispered and cancelled it before trying to call her again.

As they approached the 6th floor, the elevator began dinging, "Does your wife smell like apple blossoms?" He asked.

"No, like the ocean." Lucifer promptly responded.

Shifting uncomfortably, the doctor followed the Beta as he charged out of the elevator like raging dogs were on his tail. His biceps clenched- veins appearing along his muscular frame.

"Goddess fucking damn it..." Lucifer muttered lowly as he marched down the halls.

The doctor huffed, "The rogue isn't that dangerous." He attempted to soothe him, "Like I said, she's fully conscious and thinking." 

Lucifer was having none of it. He ignored him.

"Why would she hurt someone who got her a free hotel room?" The werebear reasoned, "This is unreasonable."

Stomping up to the door- Lucifer pounded on the door.

He glared at the doctor, "Speak another word, and I'll make sure it's the last." he threatened darkly.

The situation was tense, and they hadn't even entered the room yet.

With a clenched fist- the Beta pounded louder on the door. There were muffled responses but nothing that satisfied the furious man. He wanted it open- and he wanted it open now.

Without another moment of hesitation- Lucifer stepped back and slammed the heel of his foot into the door under the doorknob.

It swung open- the lock breaking due to his methods and werewolf strength.

The door slammed into the wall.

Storming inside, Lucifer yelled;

"RIVER?!"