Chapter 6 | Every Intention of Solitude

It felt like she just woke up from a very long nightmare

Calamity was guided into a large black and white bus with tall, tinted windows. The belt around her arms was exchanged for handcuffs interlocking her wrists.

Not a driver was in sight- not even a seat, wheel, or controls at the front of the bus.

Once she and the patrol took a seat, the bus began moving. Its movements were so fluid that they felt like gliding. The roads were clean of debris and potholes. Her seat was next to a window in the second row from the front.

They had the bus to themselves. She listened to them purposely request a bus to carry them- not wanting to involve any citizens.

Greyson stood, his hand tightly gripping a metal pole. Patrol members sat around her, but none of them sat beside her.

Except for Neith. The olive-toned woman sat beside her and flashed a gentle smile.

In a moment when she needed someone, Neith provided herself with company. Calamity felt dehumanized and omitted, but the kind woman didn't treat her like everyone else did.

She leaned against the cold glass and watched the world go by. 

Trees and fauna covered the streets like an abandoned city, yet kept so clean. Roots were tidy in their spaces, and vines decorated the walls but not the windows and pots, which had flowers or green plants lining the walls and buildings.

It was a utopia that welcomed Mother Nature as one of its residents. The world she knew was never like this.

As morning arose, the sun shone in the sky, but gentle rain poured onto the earth—a sun shower. They were common in Canada but not in America.

The bus came to a slow stop at an intersection. Amidst other buses and personal vehicles- she noticed most had no steering wheels. Their appearances were curved and smooth like futuristic spaceships- their wheels effortlessly gliding across smooth pavement.

Her eyes glided toward a nearby park. Clear grass shivered under the rain across a field, interrupted by people's pitter-patter patterns.

They held up tall signs. Calamity squinted her eyes to read them.

The signs varied from "SEPARATION FROM CHURCH AND STATE! THE MOON GODDESS SHOULD BE SEPARATE!" to "THE CONSTITUTION DOES NOT INVOLVE MUTTS" and "WEREWOLVES WANT US EXTINCT."

Tall officers in dark blue uniforms approached the protesting group. "CANINUS POLICE" was written in bold on their backs.

Calamity pursed her lips with discomfort as she watched the officers begin breaking up the demonstration. When humans got physical- they were pinned to the ground as if they weighed as light as a stick.

Another bus stops next to theirs- interrupting her view of the demonstration.

On the side of the bus was an ad for a beautiful young woman, "PROMISE DEVOTION TO THE MOON GODDESS AND QUALIFY FOR AIDED INCOME!" was written in bold text with illustrations of money floating around it.