Chapter 8 | The Walking Hazard

Her brain was a cloudy haze of grogginess and pain

A long gown draped off her body. The front and back had Velcro to save her dignity—plain medical blue with no pattern was her unwilling style of choice.

Her scabs and raw wounds were wrapped in cotton gauze- a comfortable moisture soothing the pain.

At the upper top of the glass wall was a flat-screen TV. It was newly installed that morning due to her incessant whining and threats to go bat-shit crazy. A show she'd never seen droned on- a trio of men sobbing after eating hot sauce.

Calamity sat with her legs crossed and slightly leaned forward. The back of her gown was open- the cold tickling her pale skin.

The gentle hand of the nurse, who wore a different hazmat suit from yesterday, rested on her shoulder. "Do you mind if we pause the show?" He asked.

"I want a distraction from the fucking spear you're going to shove in my back." She fired back- her voice croaky due to the early morning grogginess. "My face hurts."

The male nurse set a bag of ice on her lap, "Put this on your eye."

"My eye?" She gazed back at him, "Why?"

He flashed an unenthused look through the visor, "Your black eye."

In an immediate reflex- she pressed her fingers against her left eye. Calamity adapted to her pain to the point she forgot about her black eye. "Oh."

The man politely leaned her forward again. She picked up the ice and pressed it against her eye- the frosty bag soothing the hissing pain bulging from the purple inflamed tissue. The pain was exchanged with cold discomfort, but it was welcomed.

Voices from the TV droned on- clogging her senses and stealing her attention with its spell.

"Holy fuck-" The man on the screen coughed, "It's too much, it's too much-"

Another cackled, "You're a literal baby! It's not even that hot."

"IT HURTS-"

"OW!" Calamity hissed and clenched her teeth as a needle poked into her back.

The small metal pushed into her back- deep into her flesh- until it reached a crack through her spinal cord. Her head fell forward as she bore through the discomfort.

A breath she was holding left her as the needle was tentatively pulled out.

"Your anesthetic made that a lot more bearable." The male nurse let her know as he sealed away the small vial of spinal fluid, "You would've been screaming in pain without it."

Spotting the nurse move away from her- she reached back and felt her back, "Comforting..." She muttered lowly.

Nothing was out of the norm- not even a small bump.