Chapter 19 | Truths and Lies

Calamity is pushed out of the chaotic atmosphere

Lóthurr's scent clouded her mind- like a heavy drug stealing away her conscience and turning it into a lulling, lustful state. 

Truthfully, she wanted to bask in it some more. What was going on with her? She's become a horn dog.

The Beta female politely shut the hotel door, "What a mess..." She sighed with a frown.

Calamity rubbed her eyes. Her left arm ached from being held up, and it wheezed with relief as she dropped it. Despite her usual carelessness, being in front of Lóthurr made her want to pretend her black eye wasn't there.

Hugging herself to self-soothe, the heavy scent's effects slowly wear off.

River eyed her and pursed her lips. She wore the expression of a disappointed mother- a feeling that itched her heart uncomfortably.

"Calamity..." She trailed off, looking around, before sighing and shaking her head, "Why didn't you tell the truth?"

It felt like the pot bubbled over. Steaming emotion pooled out her eyes- her bottom lip trembling and throat clenching. Suddenly, it was hard to breathe. Her heart ached with misery.

"I'm sorry-" Calamity broke into sobs, her knees wobbling. 

River's brows uplifted with concern.

"I-... I just- I feel so rejected, and... I wanted to get away-" She panted as tears cascaded down her cheeks, "G-Gleyma won't talk to me... I'm scared-"

Unable to handle her breakdown further, River rushed forward and wiped away her tears. "Shhh, shhh..." She quietly shushed, "Who's Gleyma, dear?" She pushed strands of her mohawk out of her face and rested her hands on Calamity's shoulders.

Hearing her wolf's name from someone else made her cover her face. She pitifully sobbed into the palms of her hands.

How can someone be expected to adapt to being so alone? Her wolf was her best friend- someone who was always there in the back of her mind. They bonded like no other could.

Oh, how she missed Gleyma.

Suddenly, the hotel room door is flung open.

River and Calamity share a gasp and whip their heads toward the door. She dropped her hands from her face, tears trailing down her cheeks and her nose stuffy.

Lóthurr stood in the doorway, his large arm holding the door handle.

His chest rose and fell quickly, and his eyes widened upon seeing Calamity's distressed appearance. His brows furrow as his eyes trail up and down her face, noticing the puffy black eye, trailing tears, and trembling lips.

Opening his mouth to speak, River interrupted him with a scolding. "I said this was a private conversation, Lóthurr..." She huffed.

He flexed his jaw and shifted his gaze between the two she-wolves.