Vol 1.3 - Alone

________________________________________________________________________________

Upon further inspection of the so-called 'gas' that ODM gear uses, I can conclude that it's highly flammable and prone to exploding if handled improperly. Its properties aren't like anything I've seen before. High amounts of energy, like coal, but able to be broken down into a gas-like form for use in ODM gear.

I wonder where this material comes from. There's a source somewhere. It's also most likely mined, the main question then remains—how does it get turned into gas? Technology here isn't the most advanced and Wall Maria itself doesn't appear to be rich in...anything besides cows.

Woosh!

I've spent a little over a week in this fantasy world and have only observed portions of Wall Maria, Shiganshina District and Trost District. Moving into the inner walls might prove a bit troublesome if I were to move my entire stock of supplies with me.

Perhaps I'd have to abandon a majority of it for the sake of mobility.

Woosh!

I let out a small burst of gas and then stopped, allowing inertia to propel me forward. It's the most cost-effective way of using ODM gear while on a limited supply of gas. Highly pressurized bursts, followed by skilled grapples allow for one to maintain top speed while conserving resources.

If there was any better method to using ODM gear that I hadn't seen or invented yet, I didn't know. The MPs don't use their ODM gear in the slightest, so I'd have to rely on the Scouts or Garrison to improve my technique.

However, I'm confident of my mastery. It only took a day, after all.

Woosh!

SLICE!

The blades that came with ODM gear weren't as weak as I expected. There were no chips or cracks in the blades, even after heavy use on the tree branches and other materials around here. I guess that can be excused, these are titan killers, after all.

Perhaps Titans have skin akin to leather or something harder.

I wonder what the weaknesses of the Titans are?

Would they die due to blood loss? Perhaps—living creatures need blood to survive. Losing an abundance of it would be detrimental to anything, supernatural or not.

Decapitation?

Landing on a nearby tree branch, I looked a the swords. They were double-sided, but were they long enough to decapitate a titan?

Maybe there was something else that I was missing in my assessment.

ODM gear is used to combat titans, and the swords on the sides are the weapon. Could that mean Titans have a weakness high up on their body that a normal human cannot reach? There's a possibility.

I scratched the back of my neck, feeling my nape...

Nape...

That's a plausible theory. Titans approach from the front, they are tall. Their weakness is the nape of the neck—and humans need ODM gear to outmaneuver and swiftly slice the nape. Cutting or breaking the spinal cord will effectively kill every animal, after all.

I wonder how someone found that out.

I poked my finger on the edge of the swords, drawing a bit of blood even from a simple touch.

"..."

That was a bad decision.

I wonder if Titans are intelligent enough to know their weaknesses. Or are they some sort of mindless creature that only cares about feeding on humans?