Vol 3.3 - The Trost Crisis

I forgot to tell everyone—volumes 3 and 4 will cover season 1 of the anime and will be released slower due to the canon divergence I have to work out. I'm unsure of their lengths, but expect them to be less than the 9 to 8 chapters seen previously.

________________________________________________________________________________

I looked down from the top of the walls, with terrified Garrison and Military Police soldiers surrounding me, unmoving from their positions.

We don't have the resources to take prisoners, nor can we risk a breakout by anyone. There were only 200 of us present to manage over 35,000 thousand people. That's one person for every 175 people not counting the hundreds of soldiers scouring the district.

One of our bullets is worth more than a human life.

It's expensive to make these things, you know?

Over the transmitter, one of my subordinates informed me that they finished setting up the barricades despite some initial pushback, which was countered by deploying more tear gas. I informed them to carry on crowd control before switching channels to ensure everyone was positioned atop the roofs.

Their job was to keep the Titans away from the people. If you take hostages, you're not meant to kill them immediately. I haven't even stated any demands yet.

Each person was organized into a pair of two. One was to watch the other's back in case of attack from the rear while the other was to watch the crowd, making sure they stayed in place and didn't try anything reckless.

I also informed them of a specific target I had in mind. They had to spare them at all costs and tranquillize them on sight.

They should be here...unless...

[Sir, we have a man willing to bring our demands to the capital—he goes by the name Kitz Woermann. What do we do of him?]

Kitz Woermann? A Garrison captain?

I looked off into the distance, the panicked crowds trying to find ways of escape when there were none, the pleas to let them go free, frightened shouts that the Titans were approaching, and confused calls for answers.

I wonder what would become of me if I just let them be eaten slowly.

"Send him on his way and make sure he knows that if he tries anything we'll let the Titans eat Trost. Make sure to form a perimeter. The Titans are bound to come quickly now since there are more people."

[Yes sir!]

[Will be done!]

[Would you like us to deploy the gas canisters?]

"No. Just do what's needed. I will be changing channels now."

With that, the channel cut off. I wondered where Braun was. He was meant to have trampled over all these people and busted down Wall Rose by now. 35,000 souls immediately rested in his hands, and a million more if he broke down the wall.

Don't tell me he was getting second thoughts.

I'm kidding, I knew he would get second thoughts.

But what triggered them? I would've known that distinctive blonde hair anywhere yet...

I switched communication channels. "ODM Gas and blades, now. Keep me supplied. And put those soldiers to use. Force them to eliminate as many Titans as possible. Get them on our side."