Vol 3.1 - The Troubles

[Volume 3, START!]

What's good?

________________________________________________________________________________

Wall Rose's refugee camps were a hotbed of disease, poverty and broken dreams. Despite the government's efforts to lift these peoples' lives by providing them with jobs, food and alcohol, there was still a general apathy within these camps.

These people had lost their homes nearly 5 years ago, were forced to live in tents, hastily built structures they called houses and were forced to live on fewer calories a day than if they were in Wall Maria.

But it's not like they complained, they just moved robotically each day trying to make ends meet. Working in the overcrowded factories which now produced large amounts of consumer goods such as textiles, farm equipment, military equipment, and even dolls with which their children could play.

The walls were in a small industrial revolution.

If you were lucky, you'd get to help with the construction of "New Utopia," a city in which the government promised to house at least 50,000 people, orders of magnitude larger than the frontline cities such as Shiganshina or Trost.

They could hold around 10,000 to 13,000 people. It was a massive upgrade.

But promises are promises...

In the spring of 850, an ordinary day, by Harvey Arlert's standards, he was out for his daily walk. There wasn't much to do for a man his age, he'd gotten old and his knees weren't the same as they once were.

He thought of Armin, and how his favourite—only—grandson would be graduating from the 104th Cadet Corps this year. It was quite soon, he surmised.

He hoped Armin would stay safe.

He had heard of the trouble brewing within the Walls; the Royal Government had cautioned travel within the northwest of the country due to fears of the terrorist organization that resides there, as they labelled it.

Harvey sighed. It was only inevitable that someone would attempt to rise up against the government this way. There were simply too many people within these cramped walls and despite the government's efforts, they were slowly slipping.

The old man approached a gathering of a few hundred people, it was causing a stir.

"What is the meaning of this!?"

"Are we just your slaves?!"

"We're barely getting by—our chance to retake Wall Maria is ruined!"

Harvey pushed through the crowd to see what everyone was talking about.

His eyes widened in shock.

Lord Inocencio, the beloved Lord who brought stability and technological advancement to the Walls was found dead, along with his family a few days ago.

The news shocked everyone...however, there had been a new development to the story.

The papers in front of Harvey had stated that the Military Police, and therefore the Royal Government had ordered the killing of the lord, as he was just about to introduce an invention that would allow humans to fly.

It would've allowed humanity to bypass the Titans in its entirety...and retake Wall Maria with ease.

Now the elder Arlert felt a bit of rage build up within him. Why would they do this? Was this related to him almost being forced into Titan territory as fodder? He didn't know, but he clenched his fist.