Vol 2.2 - Horror and Apathy

________________________________________________________________________________

Time seemed to stop as the knife that Grisha Yeagar whipped out neared closer and closer to his hand, threatening to pierce it and begin a titan battle, one that the Queen of the Walls wasn't prepared for.

However...

Clink!

Clank...

Frieda gasped, stopping herself from biting her hand, as the silver knife clanked on the crystalline floor. She was beyond shocked as she observed the man who would've been her family's killer stop dead in his tracks.

Grisha's hands trembled as they slumped to their sides. The oncoming guilt and...

"I can't...I..."

The Attack Titan slumped to the floor, his whole body trembling with emotion. Everything; was wrong. He couldn't do it—he couldn't...

"I can't...I can't kill children..." He choked out, his body sweating profusely. "I'm a doctor...I save lives..."

The Queen of the Walls regained her senses, staring at the Attack Titan with her trembling azur eyes. Indecisiveness clouded her vision, conflicted between wanting to kill or make peace.

This situation was so similar to her uncle Uri's situation when he first met Kenny.

However, this was different. In the case of the Ackerman Clan, her uncle could end the persecution that her ancestor's ideology had started. That was Karl Fritz, the 145th King of Eldia's will; to love and bring peace.

As long as someone accepted Karl Fritz's will, they would be accepted into his paradise. If they didn't, they would have their minds wiped, or at worst, killed. That was how it went.

But... how could, as the story of Grisha Yeager had been told, Karl Fritz preach about peace when he's turned Grisha's life into a living hell? It was an indictment of his will—a testament to all the suffering outside of the walls that his people and descendants have been ignorant of.

'Are these...my thoughts? Or...' Frieda looked at the man. There was not a simple way to make peace—

"What are you doing Frieda!?"

'Huh?' She glanced at her family. Her father, Rod, the furthest away, was calling out to her.

"Kill that man this instant! The Founder's power is unmatched! Kill him now!"

Grisha heard this all and simply stared at the ground, eyes slowly losing life. For all his time in the Eldian Restorationist movement, for all the experiences he's had. Zeke, and the abuse he put that boy through, killing children, and a family, no matter his mission, Grisha simply couldn't do it.

Their eyes, those children's eyes. Florian, Dirk, Abel. He didn't know their names, however, when he saw their young bodies tremble, eyes filled with tears and fear. He simply couldn't. He couldn't take their innocent lives.

The youngest was probably Eren and Mikasa's age.

What if they were in their place?