Vol 1.9 - Fall

[END OF VOLUME 1]

Oh, by the way, everything is a cause and effect. Choosing "life" for one person means giving "death" to another.

Wink wink "I'm a sadist" wink wink.

Nudge nudge "I'm going to pull a Gege on you guys" Nudge nudge

________________________________________________________________________________

Dozens of horses could be seen racing forward towards the breach in Wall Maria. It had been a long day for the Scouts—suffering massive casualties, Commander Shadis resigning, and all for what? Nothing further was known about the Titans—what was the point of all the lives lost?

It was no matter, however.

The newly appointed Commander, Erwin Smith led the charge toward the destroyed gate, the same place where they had left earlier in the day.

"Erwin, do you see this? Or am I imagining things?"

"It's real alright," the blonde said before turning to what remained of the Survey Corps. They were exhausted from the expedition not a few short hours before. All they needed to do was stall for time. "GET READY FOR COMBAT!"

One of Erwin's specialties was his ability to rally people to his side. If he were born in any other period, with different desires and upbringing, he would've been made to be one of the best orators within the walls.

"YES SIR!"

As they approached the walls, the sounds of pained and anguished screams could be heard from inside Shiganshina District. Never before, in the now over 100 years since the establishment of the walls, had they been breached in such a manner.

Erwin barked out orders, his voice authoritative but resolute. The Scouts would have to hold out and escort the remaining civilians from Shiganshina, whilst holding off the Titan threat at the same time. Many more lives from the already depleted Survey Corps would be lost—that was the reality they were facing.

"Mike! Hange! Take your squads and cover the breach in the inner gate! Find any survivors and escort them out!"

"Yes sir!" Their collective voices rang, breaking from the formation and running headlong into the fray. Mike was one of humanity's strongest soldiers, combined with Hange's brains, they could hold out for a long time before their inevitable retreat.

"With me! Scale the walls and divide yourselves into groups! Eliminate any titan that gets in your way. Assist the Garrison and evacuate any trapped citizens!"

This was an intense moment for Erwin Smith but one of the many trials he must endure for the sake of humanity—no...for his dream. A trial by fire. To stall for as long as possible so they can eventually regroup and attack the Titans with full force.

But the question pulsated within the commander's mind. Why now? Why now were the Titans attacking? How did they break down the wall? How would humanity fight back? They were just about to lose over 1/3rd of the territory and a vast majority of their resources...

There would definitely be funding cuts to the military, specifically his Survey Corps, that's for sure. He'd have to fight extra hard for that not to be the case.